• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR issues with more power..

your point?
Voltage Standing Wave Ratio. VSWR.
Just wondering how a ratio can be plural.
Do I need to have a point when relating a conversation overheard ?
If there is a point it was contained in my reaction to the conversation.

"I relate it first for humor's sake and then as an example of a lack of mentoring by the established amateur community."

I'd say that's fairly clear.

...and your point?

Last edited:
Just so he knows, I intended for him to go back and read what I edited in his post.
You can not post utter bullshit, then get called on it, and go back and edit the post to make it look good for yourself.
Won't fly here.
To make the statement that a Antenna Analyzer is nothing more than a SWR Meter in a 300 dollar box shows that the poster is lacking in experience when dealing with feed lines and antennas.
Some of the posts that he has posted ( that are still in moderation and unseen) are full of rants and profanities prompting my remark about a Junor high school student.
Everyone runs into people that don't agree with your ideas on internet forums.
How one handles themselves can show a lot about your character at that point.
Calling people Brown nosers, Admins and Moderators bitches, and respected knowagable members stupid is the wrong way to go.

Jeff

Reactions: wavrider and The DB
https://www.worldwidedx.com/attachments/img_20190920_095639113-2-jpg.31096/

Just a curiosity. I wonder what would happen if a coil of several turns would do if inserted in the copper line? Seems on one hand like a fool's errand but on the other, random experimentation. :unsure:

e33ff22607f7d1b3b5eb70a96edb8f8032955a76-1.jpeg
It's over grown now but there are 36 radial wires in that ground. This was an experiment to see if the ground radials mounter to the antenna bracket made any difference. Inconclusive...
e37492a671b2a6fd613c164799199bbcf2d98bd3-1.jpeg
Then again that's a SGC SG-230 at the base so I just bypassed the VSWR issue.
I have a good "dip" at 7.2MHz , not so good at 14.2MHz (half wave , so no surprise)
and since the conversation is/was 11m, It's all over the place from 27 to 27.5MHz without the tuner. Curiously it's just a few db down to the 5/8 wave (11m) on the roof. (possibly an S unit or a little more. As a multi band vertical it's kind of miserable but reasonably effective. It's good to the horizon on most bands with a skip zone of 120 to 150 mile radius NVIS. Past that it's predictable with reports of good signal strength at 1,250 miles and 2,400 miles.

Just some relatively useless anecdotal information while I was waiting for a computer to update (y)

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I still have a post that was removed on my phone and wow, just wow. Its like he wanted to be banned or something.

And just an FYI, I said what I said about half wavelength multiples used between the radio and the antenna because I have seen this cause problems. In one specific case I have seen a setup that burns up the radio's final stage transistors every three to five months, no one who looked at it could explain why. I simply put a snap on ferrite bead about nine feet up the cable and the apparent near perfect SWR match went sky high. After correcting the problem with a ferrite based choke and re-tuning the antenna, the problem disappeared. I have seen other problems as well. Its not that electrical half wavelength multiples of coax are bad, its that it can hide problems that can cause expensive equipment malfunctions later, malfunctions that are often hard to explain.

As I said above, their are legitimate uses for such a length of feed line, but even then these uses have their flaws, flaws that most people ignore if they even know about them to begin with.

The DB

Forget all about what the radio meter says with the amp on. All it is seeing is the match provided by the input circuit of the amp and has NOTHING to do with what the antenna is doing when the amp is on.
If it raises on the radio then it affects the wear on finals. Radio will heat up faster that way.

If it raises on the radio then it affects the wear on finals. Radio will heat up faster that way.
The point your not getting is
If the input tune on the Amplifier is screwed up you can change the antenna all you want and it solves nothing.
The radio sees the amp input when that relay goes click, not the antenna.
Fix the amp.
As far as wear on finals, most old bipolar finals used in these radios could tolerate 3:1 swr all day long at rated levels.
Even my 9900 with MOSFETS works into swr of 2:1 and still lives.

Jeff

The point your not getting is
If the input tune on the Amplifier is screwed up you can change the antenna all you want and it solves nothing.
The radio sees the amp input when that relay goes click, not the antenna.
Fix the amp.
As far as wear on finals, most old bipolar finals used in these radios could tolerate 3:1 swr all day long at rated levels.
Even my 9900 with MOSFETS works into swr of 2:1 and still lives.

Jeff

Thanks for saying what I couldn't be bothered too.

Reactions: AudioShockwav

When 1st running a new system or checking the amp, we'd run 2 meters. 1 between the radio and amp and 1 between the amp and antenna. We could see the input tune (radio to amp) and output tune (amp to antenna). The antenna was tuned with either a tuner or barefoot radio, once the antenna is set, as long as it's rated for the power and the coax/feedline is in good repair, it doesn't give a crap what you run through it, the SWR doesn't change. ANY variation seen with an amp inline is a result of tuning within the amp. Now you can "hide" it by adjusting the antenna or odd coax lengths but the ill effects are still there....low power output, heat, and accelerated component wear.
Just like in maintenance, if everything was working until you changed/added a part, there's a 99+% chance the problem is the part you changed/added.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.