• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR issues with more power..

Please note this post was edited by 7doh7 after he realized he had made an ass of himself

This is one way to find an electrical 1/2 wavelength multiple, that is all. If this fixes your issue then your antenna, at best, is a flawed design.

The DB

not entirely true but could be. wouldn't hurt to try. the real question is what does the 1/2 wave length increment do for your station? weather between your equipment or in multiples of out to your antenna. and even if you were 110% correct wouldn't you want it that way to see if your antenna is no good? No good, by definition would be, untunable to the frequency of operation to a 50 Ohm Impedance. and the only way to prove that would be to either connect an analyzer directly to the bottom of the antenna or use one half an electrical wavelength of coax between the analyzer and antenna. read the MFJ analyzer manual.

hhmmmm come to think about it ""IN THIS CASE"" an analyzer is nothing more then a fancy signal source and an swr meter wrapped up into a $300 box. well, a signal source would be the radio your going to use in the shack as well as the swr meter your going to use in the shack. so no need to shell out the money.

look at that, i saved you more money then you would by switching to geico.

had to come back to this post. seems like the millenials are picking whats convenient for them to exploit instead of sticking to the subject at hand. Not everyone who has something to say that is not convenient for you to hear wears an orange wig. guess some people feel hurt when they spent the money on something they dont know how to use. hope you guys dont start an mfj me too movement. so i'll underline my edit so you dont get you panties in a twist when i don't use your proper pronoun. hahahahaha

Dont make me get all Jordan Peterson in this place!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Slowmover

That nomenclature is from TIT. The Timtron Institute of Technology.

I think its funny that some people get bent out of shape about such terms. They're usually dumb as a post and have no sense of humor. Some of the guys who speak the silly slang have forgotten more about radio than the critics ever knew. The world needs spell checkers and grammar police though.

Why you tolling on the zed?

hhmmmm come to think about it an analyzer is nothing more than a fancy signal source and an SWR meter wrapped up into a $300 box.
giphy.gif

Reactions: The DB and 7oh7
the real question is what does the 1/2 wave length increment do for your station?

There are a very limited number of uses where having a 1/2 wave length multiple feed line will benefit me. I haven't made/used one in years now. That being said, in addition to single band antennas, I also work with multi band antennas and getting a single wire that is a half wave length multiple on all bands is a big pain, definitely not practical.

After typing this I noticed you summed up my response so well in another post, so I'll just quote you here as part of my response...

putting a band aid on something doesn't resolve an issue. the irritation is still there you just cant see it. you could, find the cure to the problem. in which you will not have the problem again.

Using half wavelength multiples as a feed line length is doing nothing but putting a band aid on the problem. As you said, the problem is still there. Instead, you should cure the problem. I couldn't have said it better myself...

eather between your equipment or in multiples of out to your antenna. and even if you were 110% correct wouldn't you want it that way to see if your antenna is no good? No good, by definition would be, untunable to the frequency of operation to a 50 Ohm Impedance. and the only way to prove that would be to either connect an analyzer directly to the bottom of the antenna or use one half an electrical wavelength of coax between the analyzer and antenna. read the MFJ analyzer manual.

I have other means of determining weather an antenna installation is working as it should, none of them have to do with how long the feed line happens to be.

I would disagree with your opinion of an antenna being "no good" being based solely on weather or not it can be tuned to 50 ohms. If an antenna is designed to be 50 ohms at the feed point at a given frequency and its not then that is an issue that can be dealt with. In the end it depends on the reason it isn't at or near said impedance. Better to solve these problems than hide them behind a specific coax length.

And read the manual of my MFJ? I owned one of those once, and I did read the manual. Actually, I might still have it downstairs somewhere... Anyway, I have a VNA that can analyze the feed line and rule it out completely, no matter its length. I know, most people don't have this capability, and in that case, for a single band antenna, a half wavelength length of feed line is a good thing to have, but I wouldn't use it specifically to run a radio station permanently. If the MFJ manual actually mentions this specific length anywhere, I highly doubt it is intended for anything other than to get somewhat accurate reading from the MFJ device in question when it can't be plugged directly into the antenna. If I am wrong about this, please link the source for me, I would love to see where MFJ actually tells you to use a specific length of coax to run something other than your MFJ device...

hhmmmm come to think about it ""IN THIS CASE"" an analyzer is nothing more then a fancy signal source and an swr meter wrapped up into a $300 box. well, a signal source would be the radio your going to use in the shack as well as the swr meter your going to use in the shack. so no need to shell out the money.

Maybe the MFJ's your are referring to can be seen that way, sure, but some of us use much higher quality gear. The reason I purchased said gear? The MFJ was simply inadequate.

guess some people feel hurt when they spent the money on something they dont know how to use.

I'm not interested in the irrelevant BS that is most of your last paragraph, but this line caught my attention. I will agree that most people who have an antenna analyzer of any kind don't know how to use them very effectively. Very few have the understanding needed to use such devices to their fullest abilities, on this very technical of forums I can think of maybe four or five people that post here who can use said devices at that level, and trust me, that is a high number for any radio forum.

The DB

The name-calling and personal attacks Stop Now!
OR...
giphy.gif
Agreed
7doh7
Rather than spew bullshit, back up your theory with some facts.
You state a antenna analyzer is nothing more than a signal generator and a SWR meter.
It is obvious that you don't have a clue about the other functions that they can be used for.
Try to post like a adult, not a junior high school student.
(Some how I do not think this is going to end well)
Jeff

Is that really how a moderators feels when they need to spring into action. Is it an adrenaline rush or more like burning ants with a magnifying glass?

The analogy that I see is that Thor is wielding the ban hammer. 7oh7 has been around here for five years and only had less than 23 posts in all that time. Suddenly he appears out of virtually nowhere and with a dozen posts in a day and conducts himself in an inappropriate manner. Sometimes the ant versus hammer approach is justified and if the ant continues then....................

Reactions: undertaker
The analogy that I see is that Thor is wielding the ban hammer. 7oh7 has been around here for five years and only had less than 23 posts in all that time. Suddenly he appears out of virtually nowhere and with a dozen posts in a day and conducts himself in an inappropriate manner. Sometimes the ant versus hammer approach is justified and if the ant continues then....................

I'm not defending bad behavior. Name calling and personal attacks should not be allowed. Just trying to understand why these issues can't be dealt with less dramatically.

Is BJ a mod? I think he is and removed some youtube videos I posted at one time. He didn't feel the content was appropriate and I'm ok with that. It seems silly to pour gas on the fire before you have to put it out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated