• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR meter inconsistencies

May 28, 2023
I know some of you all warned me about cheaper meters not being accurate. I think I’m seeing some of that now.

Originally, I ordered a Surecom SW-114 meter and tuned my antenna with it. I do get good results for reception, and today I talked to a few people on the radio and they said it sounded good, so I guess I didn’t do too badly with this meter.

But I’m not crazy about the physical set up of the meter having the coaxial connections on each end. It makes it cumbersome to use in the truck with the limited amount of reach of the antenna coax. So I thought I might prefer the smaller Surecom SW-111 with its coaxial connections on the back. I ordered one to see what I thought of it, and tried it out side by side with the other one.

To do this, I took SWR and wattage readings on each meter in two locations, my driveway, and the field where I set the SWR before. Oddly, my driveway surrounded by brick houses and cars in close proximity seemed to provide slightly better SWR readings than an open field with nothing but grass where the closest tree was 100 yards away. There is a large metal building across the nearby highway but my location to that was at least 300 yards.

Ok, as for the measurements, according to one meter, my SWR is balanced. According to the other, it is way off. For reference, the radio is a President Johnny III, and the antenna is a K30. Here is what I recorded:

Surecom SW-114 driveway readings:
Channel 1 - SWR 1.6, power 2 watts
Channel 40 - SWR 1.6, power 3 watts

Surecom SW-114 field readings:
Channel 1 - SWR 1.7, power 2 watts
Channel 40 - SWR 1.7, power 3.5 watts

Surecom SW-111 driveway readings:
Channel 1 - SWR 1.8, power 2 watts
Channel 40 - SWR 1.1, power 3 watts

Surecom SW-111 field readings:
Channel 1 - SWR 2.0, power 2 watts
Channel 40 - SWR 1.3 and slowly rising, power 3 watts

So, I’m for sure returning the small one I just bought because I’m not going to redo my antenna based on what it says when I am getting good results now. But I might just return the other one also and look into a better meter. Someone suggested a used one on ebay that would be better than these two new ones. I’ve never been one to go for used items, always preferring new over used. But I don’t want to break the bank trying to get into a new hobby either, so I might have to consider it. Would anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably priced SWR meter that would be dependable and accurate? I don’t really need it to show power since I know this is a 4 watt or less radio, and both meters seem to agree that it does 2 watts on the lower end of the spectrum, and up to about 3 watts on the higher end. I believe this old Radio Shack Micronta (link below) was suggested before. Is it more reliable than what I have now?

While I’m asking, is it worth it or even possible to have this radio’s wattage output bumped up to the full legal limit? What about going beyond the limit?

Last edited:

I ordered one. Here’s what I got. An old Radio Shack 21-523 still new in the box. No real need to describe its features cause I’m sure you guys know all about this model already, but I’m posting a few pics to show what condition it’s in. I’m kinda excited to get it and see what it does compared to these others. I wasn’t expecting to find one with field strength in it, was just looking for SWR. All I’m missing is a watt meter which I don’t need.

IMG_3213.jpegIMG_3214.jpegIMG_3215.jpeg

The Micronta arrived today and I immediately used it to test my antenna SWR. The results were surprising and disappointing. It shows my SWR as far off as the last meter did, but exactly in the opposite direction. On channel 1 it was 1.6 to 1.9 and on channel 40 it was 2.5 to 3, depending on where I was at when I took the reading. This suggests to shorten the antenna, or else it suggests that the antenna location itself might be bad. I’m not sure how it can be bad though, it is on top of the roof of the truck, but not dead centered, it is towards the rear of the roof about 15 inches away from the rear edge.

So is it possible that this location is bad? The only other option is dead center of the roof.

Is it possible that I cut the antenna too short based on the previous meters being wrong? If so, I can order a new whip and redo it. Will the whip from a Wilson Lil’ Wil fit it? They look like the same thing and I found one of those for $15.

Or is it possible that the K30 antenna is just not good?

The only other thing I haven’t considered is coaxial damage of some type. I doubt this has happened since it’s been less than 2 weeks since I installed it, and I get good reception even though the meters have shown poor SWR, all except the first one which I tuned it by.

The Micronta arrived today and I immediately used it to test my antenna SWR. The results were surprising and disappointing. It shows my SWR as far off as the last meter did, but exactly in the opposite direction. On channel 1 it was 1.6 to 1.9 and on channel 40 it was 2.5 to 3, depending on where I was at when I took the reading. This suggests to shorten the antenna, or else it suggests that the antenna location itself might be bad. I’m not sure how it can be bad though, it is on top of the roof of the truck, but not dead centered, it is towards the rear of the roof about 15 inches away from the rear edge.

So is it possible that this location is bad? The only other option is dead center of the roof.

Is it possible that I cut the antenna too short based on the previous meters being wrong? If so, I can order a new whip and redo it. Will the whip from a Wilson Lil’ Wil fit it? They look like the same thing and I found one of those for $15.

Or is it possible that the K30 antenna is just not good?

The only other thing I haven’t considered is coaxial damage of some type. I doubt this has happened since it’s been less than 2 weeks since I installed it, and I get good reception even though the meters have shown poor SWR, all except the first one which I tuned it by.
Try moving the antenna around and see what the changes are so maybe you can find the best or sweet spot.
Don't get too hung up on the coax damage idea, save that for later if needed. I've accidentally put coax into some bad situations and still been ok, I think you'd see a short if it were damaged bad enough.

Different locations, adjust the whip, play with it and see what you get.

About a third of the way from the back if that makes sense, just see.

Try moving the antenna around and see what the changes are so maybe you can find the best or sweet spot.
Don't get too hung up on the coax damage idea, save that for later if needed. I've accidentally put coax into some bad situations and still been ok, I think you'd see a short if it were damaged bad enough.

Different locations, adjust the whip, play with it and see what you get.

About a third of the way from the back if that makes sense, just see.
That’s about where it is now. A third or a quarter from the back. Basically center of the rear door. I did adjust the whip also. It can’t go any lower without cutting, and I can raise it only about half an inch which made it even worse when I tried. I’m thinking of ordering a new whip and starting over. I really don’t think the coax is damaged, it’s just the only other thing I can think of. What’s weird is the different SWR readings across three meters. Three different ones and three different sets of readings. The first one showed the SWR set about equal on 1 and 40 at 1.6 to 1.7. If I had stuck with that I might never have seen anything different. But I just haaaaad to try another one, and that lead to a third one. Now I don’t know which one to trust.

Reactions: Buffalo
Ok, so it's worse if you raised it. What's channel 20 show? Just curious. So if higher is worse you've got nothing to lose at this point so shorten it in very small increments and see what you get.

The radio swr meters are usually ball park so see what it shows and how it compares to the micronta. I'd say the micronta over the others if it were me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.