• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR meter inconsistencies

This radio doesn’t have an SWR meter in it. I also returned the other two Surecom meters and only have the Micronta now. I’ll check SWR again today and see what it shows on 1, 20, and 40, and report back. I had checked 20 before but didn’t write it down. It was always lower than on 1 and 40 with the Surecom meters, but I did not check 20 with the Micronta. I should have but the readings on 1 and 40 threw me off so bad that I forgot about 20 completely. I also went ahead and ordered a new whip so I can start over if need be. See what it shows on a new, uncut antenna, and go from there.

Reactions: Eldorado828
This radio doesn’t have an SWR meter in it. I also returned the other two Surecom meters and only have the Micronta now. I’ll check SWR again today and see what it shows on 1, 20, and 40, and report back. I had checked 20 before but didn’t write it down. It was always lower than on 1 and 40 with the Surecom meters, but I did not check 20 with the Micronta. I should have but the readings on 1 and 40 threw me off so bad that I forgot about 20 completely. I also went ahead and ordered a new whip so I can start over if need be. See what it shows on a new, uncut antenna, and go from there.
Surely that antenna isn't narrow banded but if 20 is lower then it looks suspicious.

Lafayette SWR and Field Strength meter is what I would have bought. You can still find them on Ebay new in the box. They were sold under different names, but I can't remember which names.

The one I bought, new in the box, is spot on measuring SWR with two different antenna analyzers, MFJ-259 and Rig Expert AA-35 Zoom. One of the antenna experts here on the forums recommended the Lafayette type meter, and I am happy with the results.

Just checked it at work for the first time. I was in a parking lot with hardly any cars around and at least 50 feet away from buildings in front and to one side. The other side had a small tree about 50 feet away and behind me was open for at least 75 feet or so. That’s the best I can do for now.

Channel 1 SWR was 1.85 (needle between the marks).
Channel 20 was 1.7
Channel 40 was 3 and rising if I held the PTT down.

I have nothing to lose by cutting the whip some more. Already ordered another one. But from when it was new until now I’d say it has already had almost 1.25 inches trimmed off. I cut 1/4 at least 4 times and 1/8 at least twice. How much is normal to have to trim? I don’t know, but I believe cutting it more will possibly bring 40 SWR down while raising it on channel 1, and possibly raise it on channel 20 slightly also.

Last edited:
recalibrate the swr meter for each of the channels (1,20,40), thats what i do. I have that meter in my car.
Try what I asked of you and tell us if the reads are different.

Let us know how that goes. I've never used that antler but have other mag mounts. Every vehicle and install is different and I have had to trim whips before but not always.

Just don't give up, we'll do what we can to help. This hobby at times can be a love hate relationship :ROFLMAO:

I have had to trim whips a few times myself also. Do you have another vehicle you could try the antenna on to see if you get drastically different results by chance? Just a thought. I had a tram antenna on a Honda Passport with zero issues, but once I put it on a mag mount atop a 2000 Nissan Frontier I ran into problems.

I have had to trim whips a few times myself also. Do you have another vehicle you could try the antenna on to see if you get drastically different results by chance? Just a thought. I had a tram antenna on a Honda Passport with zero issues, but once I put it on a mag mount atop a 2000 Nissan Frontier I ran into problems.
Interesting. This is a Nissan Frontier, but a 2023. One would think that an antenna up on the very top with all that wide open roof for a ground plane would be ideal.

I have another vehicle but I installed the coax cable in the truck underneath the carpet and through the console. It ain’t coming back out easily. I will experiment with the antenna by cutting but I don’t want to mess with it too much and risk ruining my radio. I’m unsure how much of this it can take repeatedly keying up and seeing SWR of 3. I’ll have a new whip in a few days and I can start again trying to adjust. What gets me mixed up is how much different that three different meters read from each other. One was balanced between 1 and 40, one was way off, and the other was way off also but in the opposite direction. Literally none of them even slightly agreed with each other. Makes it hard to know what to trust, but I’m leaning with the Radio Shack meter. Especially since it’s the only one I have now.

Reactions: Holydvr
Ok, I think I finally got it tuned about as well as I’m gonna get it without an antenna upgrade. I got the new whip I had ordered but I decided to try to tune the old one first. Figured I had nothing to lose by cutting on it before I start cutting the new one. Also, I found out how much of a difference moving the antenna can make.

I went back to the same field I’ve been going to so I could be sure there is nothing around me for at least 200 feet in all directions. Then I tested channels 1-20-40 again with the antenna where it has been up until now, to establish a base. SWR readings below.
1 - 1.8
20 - 1.5
40 - 2.66 and rising

I began moving the antenna towards the rear of the truck and tested again, and I noticed the SWR was beginning to drop a little. Finally I tried it all the way back at the end of the cab and that was the lowest SWR I had seen prior to cutting. It is behind my shark fin AM/FM radio antenna there so there is just enough room for the CB antenna magnet base to sit on before it would be off the end of the cab. The sheet metal is not completely flat right there but the magnet seems stable enough. I’d prefer it dead flat but after I finished my setup I now believe I’m gonna have to accept it where it is. The antenna SWR was the lowest it had been so far right in that spot. Precut reading below.
1 - 1.6
20 - 1.4
40 - 2.6 and rising

I have noticed the SWR on 40 seems to continue rising instead of stabilizing when I key up to check it. I don’t know why that is, but anyway, I began to trim the antenna to try to bring the SWR down on channel 40. That was a slow process taking 1/8 or less off at a time and then rechecking it each time. I cut it three times in total and then checked SWR on 1-20-40, and sometimes even on 1-10-20-30-40 to get a broader view of the SWR across the whole band. After the first cut, I checked it with the antenna in three different locations, and it was again best at the very rear, so I continued testing and cutting with it in this location from there onward.

I took off a little over 1/4 inch in total and got the SWR down until finally I noticed that channel 1 was now higher than it was on 40.
1 - 2
20 - 1.3
40 - 1.8 and rising

So I very slightly raised it again, probably only 1/16, and checked it again. It seemed good now so I checked it across the entire band every 10 channels. For some reason even channel 40 didn’t rise that time. Here’s what I got.
1 - 1.9
10 - 1.45
20 - 1.25
30 - 1.42 (just barely above the mark)
40 - 1.8 stabilized, no longer rising.

I stopped with that. But before I drove away I wanted to at least see if the Micronta meter would also indicate field strength. The Surecom SW-114 had just barely responded when I had held it out and keyed the mic. This Micronta does far better than that. The needle jumped up into the 3-4 range (out of 5) on the gauge. So now I’m very curious to set up a 25 foot circle perimeter around the truck and get someone to key it while I record the field strength readings around it to see what kind of propagation pattern I’m getting.

A couple more things to add. In all this tuning, I stripped the hex head depression out of the set screw. So I ordered some stainless steel 3/16 set screws on Amazon, thread size 10-32, and they fit perfect to replace it. Also, a Wilson Little Wil antenna whip will fit the K30 base. The whip seems more limber, the K30 whip is definitely stiffer. I’m also noticing that the conical nut at the base of the K30 that the whip sits in keeps loosening. I’ve had to tighten it twice. Overall, I’m not totally wowed by the K30. It does receive very well, and apparently even with bad SWR I was able to get out to people for a few words here and there, but I believe I could probably do better with another antenna. I might even have to just pucker up and drill a hole through the roof for a stud and put on a solid one of a much nicer type down the road.

Last edited:
Lowest I could get on the Nano VNA analyzer was a 1.5 so far. I cannot remember, but it was 1.5 across most of the band. I did not wish to mess with it further, and have been running the PC-122 into a KL-203 for 1.5+ years with zero issues. You may want to try a different antenna in the future if you get the chance, but if it will work for you and you want the lower profile type antenna you may be good to go overall.

As long as it doesn’t come off the cab where it is at then I’m good for now. I’m close to 9’ clearance as is and going higher would cause some issues in some places. I just wish it had been able to go lower up more in the center area of the roof. I don’t understand why it needs to be in that spot to get the SWR like it is.

I forgot to mention, after the first 1/8 inch cut of the whip today, I did actually achieve a balance between channels 1 and 40. If it hadn’t been for the fact that I had already observed an even lower SWR with the antenna in the rearmost position, I might have concluded that that was the best I could have done and then stopped.

SWR with antenna forward on the roof after first cut:
1 - 2.33
20 - 1.5
40 - 2.33

SWR with antenna in rearmost position after first cut:
1 - 1.7
20 - 1.25
40 - 2 and rising

This simple movement of about 16 inches had made a significant impact on SWR. That is what made me decide to leave it in the very back and tune from there. I went on to cut it twice more after that and did much better for final SWR overall. I would not have thought that was possible before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holydvr
I went out and took some pics of the antenna location just now. I keep worrying about it coming off where it is at, but when I grab the base and lightly attempt to move it I can see the sheet metal flexing under jt so the magnet does have a strong grip. But look at the slight overhang it has in the back. I feel like that could serve to let wind get under it and lift it off at 70mph. That’s about as fast as I ever go. Would you all let this worry you?

IMG_3294.jpeg
IMG_3291.jpeg
IMG_3290.jpeg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.