• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR meter

tracker1962

Sep 1, 2010
I'm using an CB SWR meter on my 2 meter rig. (all I have)
How accurate can I count on this unit for my 2 meter?
SWR is SWR right? Please correct me if not so.
If not a + - average would be appreciated!!
tracker.

The typical "CB" type SWR meter will be wildly inaccurate on 2m. If it indicates anything remotely accurate it is just a lucky stroke. The sampling circuit has to be MUCH more accurate for VHF than it does for CB.

That's what I was asking.
Can I rely on it being fairly close or not even??
It works fine and not burning up.
Can I give it a 5 +- or not even close?
Make, CB-170 Citizens Band Racoton
Crap shoot I guess?
tracker

That's what I was asking.
Can I rely on it being fairly close or not even??
It works fine and not burning up.
Can I give it a 5 +- or not even close?
Make, CB-170 Citizens Band Racoton
Crap shoot I guess?
tracker

The typical "CB" type SWR meter will be wildly inaccurate on 2m. If it indicates anything remotely accurate it is just a lucky stroke. The sampling circuit has to be MUCH more accurate for VHF than it does for CB.

The way all the components behave electrically are significantly different on HF and VHF. The "tuning" of the circuitry is much different.

A CB meter will be calibrated for accuracy no higher than 30 mhz. I wouldn't trust any readings from it on VHF.

Same as - you can't take a CB or 10 meter amplifier and expect it to work on 2 meters or a 2 meter amp to work on CB.

Go out and get a VHF power/swr meter

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.