• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR/Watt/Mod

Without an explanation, which isn't all that simple, you've got it right. It can show a short because of the wiring inside. What appears to be a short at 'DC' (direct current) isn't necessarily a short with AC, all RF is AC (alternating current).
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc that summs it up in a nutshell for them ;)

I guess the same goes for measurings wattage and not using a bird?
Well my bubble has been bursted! haha Well Based on my price range does anyone have any other suggestions? Dosy or MFJ?

A Bird 43 has a maximum error of ±5% (8% for the 43P). There are lots of meters that have tighter tolerances than that. And they all need to be recalibrated periodically. Even the multi-thousand dollar ones.

Last edited:
A Bird 43 has a maximum error of ±5% (8% for the 43P). There are lots of meters that have tighter tolerances than that. And they all need to be recalibrated periodically. Even the multi-thousand dollar ones.

Thanks Beetle.

Well can some one recommend a meter already? The only person who has recommended a meter was Robb with the Autek. I'm not savy in the meter world, or radios for that matter, and I'm looking for some one to recommend to me a meter. I gave a ball park price figure that I would like to stick around and it needs to read SWR/Watt, modulation is ok too, but since it won't be that accurate I guess I could do with out..

What meters do yall use? :pop:

Also it appears that some can't be left in-line?

I guess the Dosy I posted is no good?

Last edited:
I guess I don't get hung up on meters...I figure since they all have variability, all I need to see is baseline of my junk. If it reads 20 vs 25 watts between a peak reading meter and a real peak reading meter, I don't really care as long as it reads the same output consistently on my meter, which indicates the radio is working correctly.

I have a Dosy TR-1000 that's currently MIA, it does the job...it reads a little happy for my liking. I have a new Radio Shack SWR/Power that I just bought, it works fine. I have an Aries A460 in my daily driver, it reads the lowest of the three (but it also is a "powered" meter, unlike my Dosy and RS). I don't think any of these are actually "peak reading meters".

As was noted previously, the RS is a pretty decent meter for the $$. I just bought this one on sale for $37, and it replicated the readings provided to me that were obtained from a o-scope. I was also told by a local, who owned both a Bird and RS meter, that there was very little difference in PEP readings between the two, and he preferred using the RS since it was a cheap loss if it was ever broken.

I guess I don't get hung up on meters...I figure since they all have variability, all I need to see is baseline of my junk. If it reads 20 vs 25 watts between a peak reading meter and a real peak reading meter, I don't really care as long as it reads the same output consistently on my meter, which indicates the radio is working correctly.

I have a Dosy TR-1000 that's currently MIA, it does the job...it reads a little happy for my liking. I have a new Radio Shack SWR/Power that I just bought, it works fine. I have an Aries A460 in my daily driver, it reads the lowest of the three (but it also is a "powered" meter, unlike my Dosy and RS). I don't think any of these are actually "peak reading meters".

As was noted previously, the RS is a pretty decent meter for the $$. I just bought this one on sale for $37, and it replicated the readings provided to me that were obtained from a o-scope. I was also told by a local, who owned both a Bird and RS meter, that there was very little difference in PEP readings between the two, and he preferred using the RS since it was a cheap loss if it was ever broken.

Thanks J!

I too have read that he RS meter is supposed to be a great meter for the money. I kept it in my truck until I thought something was wrong with it. It actually helped me identify the problem with my amp before I really tore it up. I prefer to keep my meters in-line all the time, just for the safety factor.

I'm looking for good meter to keep in my house and be my "go to" meter for test purposes, but I will keep it inline for the base station. I really like the idea of the cross needle and have been looking at an MFJ. I just don't know what brands/models are the best for price range I'm looking at. I starting to like the Autek, but that's a bit more than I want to spend.

I figured there would be a meter "sticky" thread stating what meters are the best based on a price range.

I'm just to dang picky! :LOL:

Reactions: 1 person
I paid $20 for my Radio Shack meter many years ago.

Good enough for my needs and surprisingly the pep is fairly close, enough for gov't work!! It runs around 10% of bird bench test on my equipment into dummy load.

Otherwise the Autek would be the ticket.

Garage full of other power meters all of then useless other than the rat shack.

You could also try the Daiwa CN-801 (1.8-200MHz). It does SWR + AVG and PEP power from 1W - 2KW. Needs a 12V supply to accurately read on the PEP setting.
The Daiwa can be left in-line with negligible loss to your output power just like the AUTEK .

The AUTEK is a great meter I have one too, hope you can/did get it repaired!

I got an old midland swr power meter i gave 6 bucks for new back in the early 70s,has an rf antenna.it quit about a year ago.my radio tec friend installed a new meter in it n compared it to his big dosey haha midland was right on with his dosey.
I got a new 2 dial ratshack at a hamfest this fall for 10 bucks n it shows same reading as my midland.
Id say you want pep you need more than what these meters are capable of

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.