• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR went haywire on my Sirio 5000

rixdafix

561 Missouri Mobile (WDX561)
Dec 19, 2022
East Central Missouri
SWR started acting sketchy the last few days. I disassembled the antenna and found the area inside the item circled to be full of corrosion. Only that area. Not sure if moisture got it from the top where the whip enters and ran down or if it got in lower and condensed up in that area. It was a combination of rust and white chalky nastiness, a real mess. I cleaned it up best I could and the SWR is back where it should be. If your 5000 starts acting up, you might want to have a look inside. Great antenna performance wise but not sealed at all against moisture intrusion beyond the rubber cap at the base of the whip.
sirio.png

Reactions: codeman

SWR started acting sketchy the last few days. I disassembled the antenna and found the area inside the item circled to be full of corrosion. Only that area. Not sure if moisture got it from the top where the whip enters and ran down or if it got in lower and condensed up in that area. It was a combination of rust and white chalky nastiness, a real mess. I cleaned it up best I could and the SWR is back where it should be. If your 5000 starts acting up, you might want to have a look inside. Great antenna performance wise but not sealed at all against moisture intrusion beyond the rubber cap at the base of the whip.
View attachment 63461
A little dielectric grease will solve that issue. Coat the end of the stinger with the grease, insert it back into the antenna mast, tighten the set screws and wipe the excess from around the mass tip... Nice and weather tight.
*edit to add*
Do the same on the threaded shaft that connects the mast to coil (where you found your issue).

Last edited:
Good thing you found out before any harm to the radio was done!! Did you take any pics?

Coating the whip end is a good idea! I used a little bead of silicone around all the seams and on the base. I also remove the antenna during downpours but I leave the base on which also has a silicone seal.

Good thing you found out before any harm to the radio was done!! Did you take any pics?

Coating the whip end is a good idea! I used a little bead of silicone around all the seams and on the base. I also remove the antenna during downpours but I leave the base on which also has a silicone seal.
I didn't think to take any pics of the corrosion but it was a mess. SWR didn't get over 2.2:1 but I knew something was up because it was never above 1.4:1 on either end before. It has been through some torrential downpours for sure. Yep a dab of dielectric grease and a little silicone will go a long way. Now if mother nature would throw us a bone...

Reactions: ForestRunner98
I didn't think to take any pics of the corrosion but it was a mess. SWR didn't get over 2.2:1 but I knew something was up because it was never above 1.4:1 on either end before. It has been through some torrential downpours for sure. Yep a dab of dielectric grease and a little silicone will go a long way. Now if mother nature would throw us a bone...
Since you installed it you know when things aren’t right. That’s the beauty of installing your own system!

Ya Mother Nature is keeping things tight so far here. Maybe later.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.