• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swr with new antenna?

Sonic

Jun 6, 2013
Ok guys i have a problem. Im running a stryker 655 and a 4 pill fatboy linear with a wilson 5000 antenna. I just bought a sirio 5000 and mounted it on my wilson magnet mount. Swr is 1.4 on channel 1. Swr is 1.5 on channel 40. The problem now is when i use my fatboy linear the swr goes past 3.0 on channel 1 and 40. With my wilson antenna they are 1.5 at the most on any channel. Can anyone tell me whats going on.

The only sure thing I can add is that you can add one more to that 'looker' list.
I have a couple of questions though. Did you tune that Wilson antenna, and have you tuned the Sirio? If that tuning is done correctly then SWR shouldn't change because of the antenna when you increase power.
That's not much specific help is it, sorry. But there are a number of possible reasons for what you are seeing.
- 'Doc

On my Sirio Performer PL5000 coupled with my Sirio 145 magmount on my mini SUV, I cut almost 7 cm off of the whip to tune it for the high side of 11 meters going into 10 meters.
Will a Wilson magmount work with a Sirio?
Here's Sirio's magmount I use> CB 27 MHz Accessories, MAG 145 Magnetic Mount

I'm curious too :pop:

P.S. mine tunes to a 1:1 perfect SWR ratio at the desired freqs

Last edited:
high swr when high power applied, kinda sounds like a capacitive ground coupling issue. I have seen where a mag mount will not have a good rf ground plane when you apply power. If memory serves me correctly it had something to do with the load on the base of the antenna interacting with with the mag mount, interfering with the capacitive coupling of the rf ground, this was usually only noticed when used with power. Rule of thumb if you run power, run a good antenna system.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

About Magnet Mounts | Wilson Antennas
http://www.k0bg.com/options.html

http://www.k0bg.com/ignition.html See below quote;
"There is one more aspect of bonding that merits mentioning. As stated above, even seasoned amateurs confuse DC and RF grounds with ground planes. As a result, too many amateurs believe a DC ground strap from the mount to a hard point on the body or chassis is a substitute for a ground plane. It is not.

Lastly, a 1/4 wave vertical antenna (loaded or not) is one half of a dipole. When used as a base station antenna, a vertical must have a number of radials under it. These radials act as the missing half of the dipole. In the case of a mobile antenna, the missing half is supplied by the vehicle, and its apparent capacitance to the ground underneath the vehicle. Since ground loss is the single biggest factor with respect to efficiency for any vertical (especially a mobile one), maximizing what ground plane a vehicle represent, is essential. As with the number of radials, the more you have, the better. This is true of bonding as well."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Ok guys i have a problem. Im running a stryker 655 and a 4 pill fatboy linear with a wilson 5000 antenna. I just bought a sirio 5000 and mounted it on my wilson magnet mount. Swr is 1.4 on channel 1. Swr is 1.5 on channel 40. The problem now is when i use my fatboy linear the swr goes past 3.0 on channel 1 and 40. With my wilson antenna they are 1.5 at the most on any channel. Can anyone tell me whats going on.

Yeah you're using a magmount so don't have a proper RF ground. The more power you put into it the more it shows up the problem.

All i know is with the wilson 5000 mag mount and wilson stinger my swr is no higher than a 1.5 with the linear on. Mounted the sirio antenna on the wilson mag mount and swr is 1.4 on channel 40 and 1.5 on chanel 1. Turn linear on and it is over 3.0

Why is everything ok with the wilson 5000 and when i put the sirio on the wilson magnet the swr goes over 3.0 with power on?

Why is everything ok with the wilson 5000 and when i put the sirio on the wilson magnet the swr goes over 3.0 with power on?

If everything is ok when you run all Wilson parts then why screw with it? Just run the 5000 as it was. There must be an issue with the sirio part.

If everything is ok when you run all Wilson parts then why screw with it? Just run the 5000 as it was. There must be an issue with the sirio part.

That's what I'm thinking. Either the Sirio is defective or the Sirio/Wilson setup is causing the glitch. Did you examine the mating surfaces of the Wilson to see if it's compatible with the Sirio?
Perhaps the Sirio needs the Sirio mag mount for the proper capacitive coupling thing to happen. Check the coax?
Are you testing it in a open area? My Sirio is sensitive to surrounding objects.

Did try to adjust in open field and have no rust issues. Im thinking defect in antenna. Did not come with scratch off card and looks like package was restapled. Bought it from H&Y.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated