• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swr

Ziploc

Mar 19, 2016
Hello guys , I don’t have a swr meter but I’m using the radio meter cal. It’s a cobra 29 Ltd and the reading is at the W on swr . Not sure what range that would be any clue ? Also 40 is slightly lower than channel 1. Thanks guys

Keep in mind, that 80%+ CB SWR meters are not accurate.
Easy to verify.
Take 100 Ohm, 4W+ resistor, plug instead of antenna. Good meter will show SWR 2:0
Most of CB meters show 1.4-1.6
Some time ago with my colleague we tested all meters in CB shop. No accurate one was found.
Mike

Last edited:
SIGH...

Dumb question...

Do you know how to set up SWR using your radios' own SWR meter...?

There is a CAL on a switch, and a SWR CAL knob you use - when you key up and you have an antenna hooked up to the antenna connector on the back - you turn the SWR CAL knob to make the needle meet the CAL mark...

Since you didn't really divulge some important details ...

I'll leave this in the thread - decide as you wish - what to do with it...

upload_2020-3-30_22-29-16.png

If I read your message correctly - you show your Channel 40 to be Lower Than Channel 1​

So that means...
  • Channel 40 - being 27.405 MHz
  • Channel 1 - being 26.965 MHz
  • Channel 40 is HIGHER in Frequency than Channel 1
  • Your SWR is LOWER on a HIGHER FREQUENCY than a LOWER ONE.
  • Higher Frequencies are SHORTER Wavelengths
  • Lower Frequencies are LONGER Wavelengths.
With SWR Lower (slightly) on Channel 40 than Channel 1
  • - your Antenna is MORE RESONATE at a HIGHER FREQUENCY
  • - SWR is better (lower) ABOVE Channel 1 and Channel 40
  • - it appears that your antenna is TOO SHORT
  • - you need to ADD length
  • - added length will help make the antenna more Resonant at a Longer Wavelength, or Lower Frequency...
When the meter is in SWR -
  • The more the Needle rests under SWR the lower REFLECTED power is being sensed
  • The Needle shows how much power is not being used - higher the number 2 - 3 or above means your can damage the radio, your antenna is not properly matched to work with your radio as a Tuned-system
  • Lower SWR or when the Needle rests to where it barely moves, means your antenna SWR is better, your system is in better Tune for RF and its' SAFE to operate your radio.
  • ANY SWR READING IN RED - STOP - don't keep transmitting - you can damage your radio...fix your SWR mis-match problem
Do I need to keep re-setting CAL every time I switch between channels?
  • No, it is better if you don't - once you have a reference FORWARD power level using your SWR CAL knob to set the needle - The Reflected power shown on the meter is relative to your FORWARD POWER Reference.
    • It's easier if you SET FORWARD POWER SWR CAL ON CHANNEL 20
    • then switch to SWR and Read Reflected (power that is not being used) for Channels 1 and 40 and just bounce between 1 and 40 to find your best low-SWR tuning balance, as you lengthen or shorten the antenna to get you the lowest SWR possible.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.