• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

swr's

can you use like the public safey antennas 1/4 and the small uhf antennas on hams?

Yep.

cannedhamgi1.gif

cool thank you im trying to get my general for ham so i just looking into things. i'm on 11 meters now and it's a joke sometimes!!!!

okay i didn't know if it matter with public safety radios or anything....i can use public safety antennas along there use on the right band right?2m 1/4 wave ant.

First it's SWR not SWR'S. It is a ratio and thus is not plural. I know,picky. SWR means as much on ham as it does on CB as it does on police radios as it does on aircraft radios etc etc etc.

What if you're running multiple antennies? then would it be swr's?

And it's not "ham". It's ham radio, or amateur radio. "Ham", by itself, is a processed portion of deceased porcine creature.

Did you know they're also omnivorous? just like us.

They say a pig won't eat where it shits but I see it here all the time.

Do hams have SWR like CB'ers do? Sure, but it's not quite as important to hams, sort of. It depends a lot on hobby 'conceptions'. Personlly, unless there's some really important reason for wondering about it, I couldn't care less what the SWR is on particular antennas. Why? Because the feed line I use isn't susceptible to the damage that a high SWR can cause. Right, if I don't have to, I don't use coax except for times when I have to. And of course, there are times when I have to so I pay attention to what that SWR is to some extent. Does that mean whatever I decide 'works' is the best possible set up? Oh yeah! Sure it does... right (and is you really believe that, I've got this boat for sail/sale.). Just doesn't make that much difference in most cases.
SWR, Standing Wave Ratio, is a matter of how well the radio feedline and antenna are impedance matched. Doesn't mean squat as far as how well that set up works, how good a signal is produced, or where it goes. Having a low SWR, meaning that the system is matched well, is nice. But it ain't the whole ball game. Having a crappy SWR but the signal goes where you want it to, works better than the other way around, the signal not going where it should, but having a fabulously low SWR.
It's always a good thing to understand what you are talking about or doing. Makes things easier, sort of, or at least understandable. Has to do with consequences, I don't understand nuclear physics, and I certainly do not plan on doing any of it. Making a mistake with that stuff ain't exactly like having a 2:1 SWR, or a 50:1 SWR. Not exactly the best analogy, huh? Oh well...

Antennas are sort of specialized as to where they work well. Has to do with their lengths in relation to the frequency of use. What's made for one band isn't going to work well on another band without modifications. That doesn't mean that modifications aren't practical in some instances! It's easier to go from a lower frequency to a higher frequency because it usually means shortening the antenna. It isn't always as easy to make that antenna longer. Doesn't mean you can't, just that it isn't quite as easy. Much easier to cut it off than to 'stretch' it.
'Nuff of that...
- 'Doc

An "SWR" is a ratio of forward power going OUT to the antenna and that amount being reflected BACK to the radio thru the feedline. Each antenna has ONE feedline, each feedline has ONE SWR! But Doc says it best!

There is NO such thing as "SWR-zzzzzzzzzzzz"!:D:D:D That is something that came from the CB myths and legends like coax lengths!!!!:thumbdown:

CWM

A hi-band public safety 1/4 wave whip is about 4 inches too short for 2m. Makes a great 220 antenna though, with 3 inches clipped off! The UHF ones are a tad short also, but the higher you go in frequency the broader-banded they tend to be so at low power you might be able to use one. Don't sweat asking questions. We were all new at one time, and there is a lot of BS to wade through to get to the real info.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.