• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

T/S 350 users

If your not driving it w/25+ watts of drive it might be able to take it. I think it should. In my 1500 truck @ night w/lights on driving it does pull the alt a little o SSB but on AM its a bit lighter amp draw. Maybe you can test it out and LMK. Thinking of installing my base setup w a 2 pill 2 X 2789 box.

Ke den cuz, Malama pono. Aloha. james....

Texas Star 350DX Review
QS - I have a TS 350 as well. I don't use it - as I don't have a big enough of a supply to run it. I have a 30 amp Vista supply; but the TS 350 will draw more current than most two-pill amps. You may want to read the review from CB Radio Magazine that I have linked above.

If I am going to use a linear, I will probably use it in my mobile. My OmegaForce does fine as a base radio with ~65 watts PEP and a decent antenna. But if I had to run the TS 350 on my base - I would get the Pyramid 42 amp supply. That way, I wouldn't be straining a lesser supply...

Last edited:
Yes, as long as you have just the amp on it.

I use an Iota DLS-55. No frills and it only drops .2v under full load (55A). If you shop around on E***, you can find them for less than $100 shipped.

Don't forget you need "headroom" on those amp draws. It's not good to strain power supplies for everything they're worth all the time. I'd use a Astron 50 amp and be done with it.

you should be fine . IF .... your clipping light on the PS comes on just turn the variable on the 350 down till it stops . the 50-75 watts less output power will never be noticed .

is this just the straight up dx-350 or the HD or the one with the variable. I would go with a rs-50 astron to power this one just to be safe. You could always run it off a car battery in the house and a good battery charger.

There is really no practicle difference between the two. It's a 2 pill Texas Star with 2879's. The HD thing is really something that just sounds more impressive then it really is for 90% of amplifiers that have HD stamped on them.

If you don't have the amp yet you might check out the TnT 350 built by X-Force. Hand built and tuned, and it will spank a Texas Star. Or get with a member named Yota. He is working on building remakes of the old Joker amplifiers. They have regulated class AB biasing. A Texas Star is for sure a step above Palomar, RM, Boomer, but there is better out there.

yota cant even test antennas without making an ass of himself !!
i have exactly ZERO faith in his ability to copy a joker amp !!!!
no doubt coolbreeze/bighammer will be the driver of that float when they try to parade it around . LOL

texas stars are fine amps and actually have a bias designed for a modulated signal unlike class c amps .
class c is fine for morse code though .

http://www.smeter.net/amplifiers/classes-of-operation.php

"Class C amplifiers are biased well beyond cutoff, so that plate- or collector-current flows less than 180 degrees of each RF cycle. That provides even higher power-efficiency than Class B operation, but with the penalty of even higher input-to-output nonlinearity, making use of relatively high-Q resonant output tank circuits to restore complete RF sine-wave cycles essential. High amplifying-nonlinearity makes them unsuitable to amplify AM, DSB, or SSB signals."

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.