• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

T/S 350 users

yota cant even test antennas without making an ass of himself !!
i have exactly ZERO faith in his ability to copy a joker amp !!!!
no doubt coolbreeze/bighammer will be the driver of that float when they try to parade it around . LOL

texas stars are fine amps and actually have a bias designed for a modulated signal unlike class c amps .
class c is fine for morse code though .

Classes of Amplifier Operation

"Class C amplifiers are biased well beyond cutoff, so that plate- or collector-current flows less than 180 degrees of each RF cycle. That provides even higher power-efficiency than Class B operation, but with the penalty of even higher input-to-output nonlinearity, making use of relatively high-Q resonant output tank circuits to restore complete RF sine-wave cycles essential. High amplifying-nonlinearity makes them unsuitable to amplify AM, DSB, or SSB signals."

There is LOT more to building a good amp than just choosing the same parts. My spectrum analyzer alone cost me over $5000 when I bought it years ago. It took me 2 years to pay it off and about as long to actually learn how to use it:D

Long time.....good to see you still around. Sure are a lot of wannaboos out here now....Hope things are going good for you Peak. Lots would like to see you building again. And lots that are afraid you might. Still remember the smell of ten ohm smoke?

I never completely quit building. I still have all of my test equipment and my benches set up. I have been doing "R&D" so to speak.
I got very busy years ago with my electrical business and that is truly my bread and butter. I have been super busy for the the last 5 years and the only time I get on the bench is to act like a mad scientist :D
I am thinking seriously about putting a few amps together but every time I say that I get too busy to do it so I will not say it:D.

Trust me, the Day Joker amplifiers are being built again I will have my Pay-Pal account sending some greenbacks to the lonestar state. A nice hand built class AB amplifier is very hard to find. Thats the only reason I brought up the Joker clones. Until then we are stuck with these cheap overpriced blue face palomars that I guess are AB. They still say palomar on the front.

i like my little blue faced POS ;)
copies

insidepal225007.jpg

yota cant even test antennas without making an ass of himself !!
i have exactly ZERO faith in his ability to copy a joker amp !!!!
no doubt coolbreeze/bighammer will be the driver of that float when they try to parade it around . LOL

texas stars are fine amps and actually have a bias designed for a modulated signal unlike class c amps .
class c is fine for morse code though .

Classes of Amplifier Operation

"Class C amplifiers are biased well beyond cutoff, so that plate- or collector-current flows less than 180 degrees of each RF cycle. That provides even higher power-efficiency than Class B operation, but with the penalty of even higher input-to-output nonlinearity, making use of relatively high-Q resonant output tank circuits to restore complete RF sine-wave cycles essential. High amplifying-nonlinearity makes them unsuitable to amplify AM, DSB, or SSB signals."

Oh I forgot about the good old days. ^^ ab v c^^

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.