• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

T.V interferance to neighbors

Lords,i wasn"t pissed or anything like that its just that i couldn"t understand at first why it was posted about me .i"m glad it was nothing more then a joke.

actually right now my I-MAX isn"t up 100ft because we had some real bad winds a few weeks ago and the ant.got snapped off after the first section.i can recieve but don"t dare transmitt.sure don"t look forward getting up that tree and putting up another ant.but you got to do what you got to do.have a nice day bud.

coondog said:
Lords,i wasn"t pissed or anything like that its just that i couldn"t understand at first why it was posted about me .i"m glad it was nothing more then a joke.

actually right now my I-MAX isn"t up 100ft because we had some real bad winds a few weeks ago and the ant.got snapped off after the first section.i can recieve but don"t dare transmitt.sure don"t look forward getting up that tree and putting up another ant.but you got to do what you got to do.have a nice day bud.

damm it takes a lota wind to snap oe of them..sh$t
hope you get it all back up and going..good old mother nature :(

Kevin,
If that Maco is loaded, (has a coil in the base) then you're going to have to raise that antenna maybe to the 60' max allowed. That type antenna usually has the strongest radiation right around that coil. You're already using double shielded coax (in the RG213 if I'm not mistaken) so I would raise the antenna before purchasing any more filters etc.

73's

Re: tvi

kevin IB said:
Just the neighbor on the side that my antenna is on.Tried high pass MFJ inline coax filters,5-ferrite clip ons on the coax as well as the AC plug for the tv and just today I raised the pole to about 50 feet from the base of the antenna.Still no luck and still the same lines are appearing on his tv with anything over a 100 watts.Im severely frustrated and am about to order an I-10K......

did you ever check to see what your swr is with and without the linear in line??

and what kind of tv does he have? and is it cable or reg ant?
did you offer to put chokes on his tv and antenna line?
just don't snap them on, wrap the wire around the choke once..I have to use 2 radio shack chokes....

if your radio is grounded inside the hole to the wall plate un-ground that...
(my local buddy had his grounded and splattered all over his local next store till he ungrounded the radios body from the wall plate...don't even know why he did that!)
all you really need is 1 6' or longer ground rod in the ground and then ground the antenna.

and are you sure your 50; up from the ground....what is this push up pole?

what kinda amp ya got what name?
tube or solid state?
seems to me if ya can run barefoot and no problems
then turn on amp then get tvi id check connections
at amp.what kinda coax jumper ya using between radio
and amp?

ios yiour neighbor by your antenna on cable/satelite?
if not this interference maybe impossible to stop running
anything moe than barefoot.assuming being theres lines
only in his tv gonna guess your using am mode try using
ssb.cause theres no carrier only modulation.

:?: What are some ideas to solve my interference to my neighbors tv?His problem is lines on the tv during transmit only,no audio is comming through.What can I do in order to prevent this problem?I have great neighbors and want for everyone to be happy.Thanx in advance.Oh, BTW,it does it with the amp on or off :!:
RCI 2980
Palamar 300 1x3 tube
rg 213 cable
maco v-5000 antenna

do you have say like a cobra 25 or 29 take the 2980 out of the system put in the other radio and try it and see

There are some things that just can not be fixed by messing with the transmitting end of the problem. That's usually because the 'problem' is at the other end, the receiving end. It depends on who made the receiving device (TV), and when, and who knows what else (you'll find that in the interference handbook, by the way). That sort of thingy can be 'fixed' by some judicious and 'non-intrusive' additions to the neighbor's TV, some times, as in a high-pass filter. Another part of that that can't be fixed 'non-intrusively' is by providing adequate shielding to that TV. Or in effect, move the TV further away from the source (can also means moving your antenna too).

Antennas radiate in all directions, even the directional ones. The closer you are to that antenna the more of that "spill-over" signal you will get. The only reasonable way of getting rid of that 'spill-over' is to get further away from it, it's strength drops off pretty quickly, sort of. If possible, try moving things a bit and see what happens. At the distances you normally find a neighbor, that 'moving things' isn't exactly always practical. So, putting up with it is about all you can do.

The 'catch' to all these FCC regulations deals with CB not being a licensed service. Which means that it has no protection from receiving devices that aren't exactly the best in the world, that pick up any stray RF that happens by. Doesn't matter if the interfering signal is the cleanest in the world, or the dirtiest. (See the rules for Part 95 devices, which TVs are.)

One clue about about if your neighbor's TV is the culprit is if your TV gets the same kind of interference. Does it?

And depending on how 'reasonable' your neighbor is (and how generous you are), sometimes it just isn't 'curable', which means that you are out of luck, and into court (ouch!). Been there, done that, you -=<REALLY>=- don't wanna go there even if they find in your favor, NOT fun!

Good luck.
- 'Doc

The reason for that 'non-intrusive' thingy is that if you mess with their TV then you are responsible for the problems encountered there after. If adding something to their TV can cure the problem, don't do it yourself, give the correcting part(s) to them and let -them- do it!
Read that interference book!

kevin,

is your neighbor using cable, satelite, or an antenna for their TV service?
if they use cable TV, find out if they have any open terminals in the house, and terminate them with the little cap that is made for this purpose.
should be able to get them from the cable company.
have you tried any snap on ferrite chokes on their TV?

you have to get the right kind, and RF parts can tell you which ones you need, just call Merit at RF parts and ask him.

you are most likely causing the interference because of the proximity of your antenna to their house.

if you can raise the antenna up another 20-30 feet, that would be great.
how about using a 3 foot tripod and putting that push up pole on top of the roof?
this would be the best solution, as it would also get your signal out further.
i know, most likely its not possible, but its worth suggesting.

if you cant move the antenna, its best to attack the interference at the device receiving the interference rather than the device creating it.

sorry about your 95 dollar investment, but you should run it out of your amp, before your SWR/wattmeter anyway, as you will get a more accurate reading.

what kind of coax are you using? any barrel connectors in the line?
is it coiled up anywhere?

another option is to make and install what is called a "choke balun" or "coax balun".
not sure if it helps with this type of antenna, but i think it does.

if you have a neighbor that is nice enough to work with you on this, then you have already won half the battles. most wont even discuss it with you.

good luck to you, its a tough battle!
LC

Does your neighbor have a cheap tv with no filtering in it if so only way to fix that is get a good tv

It's your neighbors problem. Tell them they bought an inferior tv with poor filtering. The FCC won't bother you unless you are interfering with a church, school or hospital. Well most of the time.

Read about your neighbors problem here.
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/interference.html

Tell your neighbor to go buy this.
http://www.palstar.com/hpf-fc.php

Now if you're a nice guy and like your neighbor can help them out buy getting one and hooking it up.

Here in So.Cal , I don't care what kind of FCC this and that you can come up with , if you are bothering anybody with your stuff , it is best to work with them the best you can , no need to have pissed off neighbors ! (been there done that over the years) as I said , I don't care if your HAM or CB'er , if the local law inforcement get's involved with a neighbors complaint and they see and here where the interferance is coming from , your going to have a problem ! FCC regs or not ! Here they call it disturbing the peace and you will have yourself a problem you don't need. The city just shut down a friend of mine last year ! he was warned over and over again , even his neighbors in the beginning were willing to work with him and they just got tired of being sick and tired . The police with the city halls help along with a few complaints from local neighbors in the hood , SHUT HIM DOWN ! FCC didn't have a damned thing to do with any of this. His antenna came down by order of the city or major fines were to be put in place within 30 days of citation given. After many years of dealings with these kinds of things in order to run my stations the way I wanted to , irate neighbors , money out of my pocket for filters , telephones and TV antenna's and a few letters from FCC , I surely DO NOT miss that part about my hobby ! . Would I want somebody tearing my TV/Phone up ! HELL NO ! Do I want neighbors looking at me as if looks could kill and flipping me off every time they had the chance ? HELL NO ! Back then I was more LUCKY then not , nowadays it would surely be a different story for me if I had to deal with this kind of thing here in So.Cal and where I live. I realize now that I was nothing but a rude , interfering asshole towards my neighbors that never really did anything to me , the fact that many times , my kids played with there's saved my ass to a degree. Although I did try to help others so I could continue my transmitting , I was still in the wrong , legal or not. I only really cared about myself more then I did my neighbors. Did they deserve my TVI/bleedover ? I think not. I hope I can be forgiven in another life.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.