• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tacoma Install

oil2gas

Apr 5, 2010
Need help and ideas on installing my DX66V and Messinger 175 in my 03 taco with 5 speed and bench seat.? where is a good accessable location to install it and still use the radio as i am tooling the hiway
thanks

Does this look like your interior?

9fd3e6515ac7a50b817aa293f37d3201ea655f3f.jpg

I would say in that notched out section of the bench seat....

You smoke?

Maybe if the ashtray is inside the dash you could remove the ashtray and install the radio in there. The amp place anywheres thats convienent.

Well, the amp has a heat sink on it that requires some air circulation around it. Even the trunk is OK for mounting it; so long as the amp itself doesn't get stuff piled on top of it.

Radios need to seen easily and adjusted easily.

I mount my radio on one of those cheap 'saw tooth mounts'. Your requirements may be different. Those 'pedestal mounts' types are about the best out there - IMO.

That notched-out section of the seat is where I would put it. When you leave the car, just throw a towel or sweater over the radio before you lock it up. No reason to give someone a reason to break into you car - if you leave it plain sight . . .

I put my radios under the glovebox and between the seat and console on my 4runner, so far I have yet to have a passenger complain.

great istall but i could never keep reaching over to glove box to change channels . did you put a back up plater to support the radio mount on to the plastic door of your glove box?
thanks

well you asked for ideas...how do you feel about some that are slightly off the wall, perhaps even crazy? don't know how much of a diy person you are BUT having a bench and the truck being stick, along with trying to keep things accessible make me lean towards dash mount, IF do-able, it does look like a pretty wide radio compared to my 257
option 1 would be to pull the center vents, make up a custom face plate and mount it there (would also mean removing and capping the "ducting")
option 2 would mean relocating the fan and temp switches which shouldn't be too bad, just extend the wiring and placing elsewhere
option 3, below the factory radio...unless i'm mistaken all i see there is a cd holding slot? 4, not sure what is located below that tho, 12v sockets perhaps? again an easy relocation....and a quick fiberglass build would make it look factory

just tossing it out there....my dodge had a big center-console between the seats so that was out of the question, leg room is minimal...all i was left with was dash. i quite possibly could have fit a full sized rig in there as my 257 has the HP attached and i have well over an inch left on each side

the full size chassis radios can fit into a single DIN slot, you may have to dremel out the edges a little bit if you have a lip around the factory opening. i've seen a 148 fit into the single DIN slot in an integra, but that probably only worked b/c the mike is front-mounted.

my SS3900GHP wouldn't work with a dash install on our Sienna b/c the mike plug is on the side. unless i popped out one of the black switch panels and routed the mike cable behind the dash and out through there, it wouldn't really work. you may be in the same boat w/ the 66v.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.