• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Talked to WalMart Today on a HT?

I would go back to WalMart and start talking again, but this time with a print-out of the rules. When they complain ask to meet the manager out front and then hand them a copy of the regs. The WalMart here uses MURS (or they did the last time I checked), too. They were probably allocated those frequencies years ago and never realized that they became public frequencies. I seriously doubt the cops were called because of what you were doing, btw. It's much more likely that there was some other incident, especially around this time of the year.

I agree with Moleculo. I doubt the "cop" was really a cop and I would have stuck around to see and then launch a complaint about someone impersonating a cop if indeed he was not. LOL. As for mentioning the ham license,that's better not mentioned as it has no bearing whatsoever on the topic. All it does is give hams a bad name in some peoples eyes.

I agree with Moleculo. I doubt the "cop" was really a cop and I would have stuck around to see and then launch a complaint about someone impersonating a cop if indeed he was not.
there is a town officer posted at walmart 24 hrs a day here at this branch. and they have a walmart radio with them at all times. i don't know why they are there, but i see them everytime i go to wally world. the only reason i mentioned me being a ham was because i thought they would realize that i wasn't some punk kid messing around with a walkie talkie.

there is a town officer posted at walmart 24 hrs a day here at this branch. and they have a walmart radio with them at all times. i don't know why they are there, but i see them everytime i go to wally world. the only reason i mentioned me being a ham was because i thought they would realize that i wasn't some punk kid messing around with a walkie talkie.

the problem with that is most cops don't know what a 'ham' is ... and even if they do, they have even less of a clue about the FCC reg's ... all they know is someone who doesn't work at the place they are stationed at is broadcasting on it's freq ... which they know is frowned upon if someone does it on the freq's that they use in their squad cars.

a lot of times it is better to avoid conflict. hah esp when it comes to crossing with local law enforcement.

the problem with that is most cops don't know what a 'ham' is ... and even if they do, they have even less of a clue about the FCC reg's ... all they know is someone who doesn't work at the place they are stationed at is broadcasting on it's freq ... which they know is frowned upon if someone does it on the freq's that they use in their squad cars.

a lot of times it is better to avoid conflict. hah esp when it comes to crossing with local law enforcement.

In this situation it doesn't matter if the cop knows what a ham is or not, it's a license free service. Someone needs to man up and explain to the kind officer exactly what the rules of the service allow. I think it's a perfect job for new licensee Chop. I doubt he will shoot you.

Shouting "stand back I'm a ham" is probably not necessary though.

In this situation it doesn't matter if the cop knows what a ham is or not, it's a license free service. Someone needs to man up and explain to the kind officer exactly what the rules of the service allow. I think it's a perfect job for new licensee Chop. I doubt he will shoot you.

Shouting "stand back I'm a ham" is probably not necessary though.

explaining it is one thing ... 'confronting' them about it is another ...

the proper way would be to find out what department they are with .. and talking with the captain of his dept ... and provide him with the documentation ...

You were correct in premise. Also you were correct in not trying to discuss the nuances of radio technology and licensing with a cop heh. They mostly have no clue.

I doubt he will shoot you.
lol, i surely hope not. i went back there today and listened to the channel, but i did not transmit. i will eventually go there and talk to the service manager (not that it will do any good). i think they should at least know that the frequency they are talking on is now a public frequency and ANYONE can talk freely on that frequency. i'll keep you posted on what they say.

lol, i surely hope not. i went back there today and listened to the channel, but i did not transmit. i will eventually go there and talk to the service manager (not that it will do any good). i think they should at least know that the frequency they are talking on is now a public frequency and ANYONE can talk freely on that frequency. i'll keep you posted on what they say.

when you plan on talking to them it will likely have to be after the 29th of this month ... that is when their 'blackout' period is over with for the holiday and the manager is easier to catch ... but depending on the size of the town you are in, you may have to talk to them while they are walking around the store ...

on that note though, the store uses the equipment that is provided to them by corp office, so talking with the manager won't do a lot of good ... they only control the people that work there ... not what they use to do the work.

I think the goal here is to at least educate the manager so that they know if they hear other people talking on this frequency that this isn't a matter to call the police over.

yes, you're right, moleculo. that is the only reason i would like to have a chat with them.

Be sure to tell them you are a ham. If possible you should get one of those caps with your callsign printed on it.

hr73.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.