• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Teaberry Stalker 20 in regard to the 8719 PLL chip

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
Hi fellas, I have just aquired a great radio. A new Teaberry Stalker XX ! I plan to do it up right with my experienced local tech but he only works 3 days a week on this type stuff so I can't see him for a couple weeks so I figured I'd ask a few questions here !! Basically I plan to marry up the clarifier with the RX on TX opening that up, peak and tune and align it all out while adding extra channels for DX on SSB which is my favorite thing to do. So do all these radios come stock with the MB8734 chip ? I keep reading about there needs to be the MB8719 PLL chip put in it for easy modifications. In particular this I just read; It had a lot of great features, but like many rigs of the later years - not easy to modify. While it's nice to have a "stock" rig, it's also nice to have options. [NOTE: the PLL chip can be replaced by the 8719 PLL chip, but these are getting harder to find. If your radio has a MB8734 pll change it to a MB8719. I found some new MB8719 chips and thought about picking 1 up to be more prepared for my tech when I see him as I have scheduled an appointment with him on the 8th of July. Please give me some input on this and if anyone has experience in or knows for sure please comment and give me some helpful info ...
I appriciate this forum and am new here but have several vintage 40 channel ssb base stations finally and enjoying them very much.
73's from Indiana the Hoosier state, JIM

My Stalker XX had the MB8719 PLL. However, mine was also the export version with the high band and FM. The regular Stalker XX's should also have the MB8719 in them, tho. Don't know why the MB8734 got put in, unless there was maybe a surplus of the MB8734's that they had to burn up, or someone installed it aftermarket. Does it look like the solder joints have been redone on the PLL, like someone has installed a new one?

~Cheers~

Thirteen hey bro

I actually don't have it yet. I just found and bought it today and it's actually fully stock and new ! So I was trying to be 1 step ahead but maybe I'll get lucky and it will have that MB8719. This one is not the export one with FM. I'll post a pic or two of it in my reply. Thanks for the reply very much !

Look forward to hearing back from ya and whoever else knows some about this.

Waves my hand from Hoosierland, Jim

Attachments

• DSC07800.jpg
    DSC07800.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC07799.jpg
    DSC07799.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC07801.jpg
    DSC07801.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 13
For all intents and purposes, it should have the MB8719 in it. Don't see why it shouldn't; according to the schematic for the radio, it shows the MB8719 for the PLL. When you get the radio, remove the top and see what you have. I can help you from there. If you have another radio to use, I'd keep that one new/unmodified. Those aren't the easiest radios to come by, ESPECIALLY new. That's a great find! (y)

~Cheers~

TEABERRY STALKER 20 expansion options

Thanks ExitThirteen and tecnicoloco both of ya !! Basically I am considering the LesComm board and that Digimax one. I'd rather go with one closer to home in the states in USA but ultimately I want the best option for my needs.
With that said, I just heard back from both of them on eBay from my inquiry
to them. Both can accomidate me but now I have research a bit more and go with the one that suits me best... Here are the eBay links to both.

Lescomm L3S Expa Kit Cobra Galaxy Uniden Realistic Ranger Other 8719 PLL | eBay

AND

Digimax Lite Channel Expansion for CB Radio Blue Display Assembled and Tested | eBay

I will keep this post updated as I know more and especially after I get the radio and am able to determine which PLL chip it has... I like this forum
and so glad I joined folks !!!! Yes my goal is to end with a final look similar
to this pic I will post next and have a very well aligned radio with the channel
coverage from at least say -15 to 80 and clarifier with as good as slide as possible. These 2 radios have the look I'm after but yeah one of each, one being USA model and the other the Export model. COOOOL !

Okay gentlemen thanks again for your input and I'll keep updating here and checking back - Jim

Attachments

• maxresdefault_WOW.jpg
    maxresdefault_WOW.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: 1 person
Schematics for Stalker XX

Oh hey ExitThirteen can you send me a copy of that schematic you're looking at bro please ? I'd like to see it. If you can't post it here for some reason, shoot me an email at fifesdog@yahoo.com

Thanks for anything like bro, Jim

UPDATE !!!!

Okay found out my Teaberry Stalker XX has the MB8734 PLL chip darn. So I've ordered a MB8719 for a replacement and also ordered the LC 6404 LesComm board. My buddy cautioned me who sold the chip that my tech better know how to broadband well and get it right with RX and TX as well as be able to get a 6 KC on the clarifier.... Anybody wanna share some methods on that and some insight please ? ?

Well I'm on my way to getting it done right is the plan. But yeah my local tech has been at it now for easily 40 years plus .... I called him, he mentioned about messing with the coils and something called staggering with the broadbanding stuff. Hope some kind folks can comment with some real info to back up for me, as now I'm really curious too.

Waves my hand from the Hoosier state thanks for the help so far - Jim
(AKA - Jaguar)

Tell him to A.) be sure to center and tape the clarifier knob beforehand and,B.) To put a 4.7k, 1/4watt resistor on the wire going to board ground and keep the wire/resistor run as short ass possible. Should give 7KC up and 7 down.

for educational purposes only.

Thanks David, but I'm good to go now and here is my latest update with a recent pic of my Stalker 20 WOOOOOT !!!!!!

Waving my hand in Hoosier land and back down ...

Attachments

• 20140919_181111.jpg
    20140919_181111.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 24

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned