• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Teaberry Stalker XX issue

43Echo695

Oct 19, 2008
Queensland, Australia
I have one of these fine radios, but it has an issue when powered up on AC.

There is cell phone footage of this, but there's something up with the formatting
and can't upload it. Thus the detail..

When power is first applied, the clock will flash 12:00 on/off.

When turning the radio on using the MANUAL button, a steady tap-tap-tap sound
is heard from the speaker, in time with the clock flashing 12:00 on/off.

The sound is present in all modes & is unchanged when adjusting any of the rotary
controls or keying PTT.

The sound stops for the duration of the HOLD button being held in, alongside the
12:00 not being illuminated, then will resume when HOLD is released.

When the clock SET, along with SLOW or FAST buttons, the clock display changes, stops
flashing, keeps time, and the sound stops.

Surely it isn't meant to do this, and isn't a prompt to set your clock? Other radios in the shack with digital
clocks don't do this.

Am running off a 240/110 transformer. The mains frequency is 50 Hz, but don't think that could contributing.

Something up with the clock circuit? A visual inside shows nothing obvious. Have limited test equipment, but
a good DMM.

Any guidance appreciated. Many thanks & 73's

Probably a bad electrolytic capacitor in the clock circuit. Voltage spikes from the clock LED's flashing on and off are supposed to be filtered by a cap somewhere. It isn't doing its job and the noise is getting into the radio.

That radio is at an age where if it hasn't already been recapped, it likely needs to be. When one fails, others are usually not far behind........

The "tap-tap" when the clock digits flash is not so rare. This is not the only base radio with a LED clock to do this. Most creepy noises leaking from one circuit to another end up being caused by electrolytic capacitors over 30 years old.

others are usually not far behind......
Replacing just some of the electrolytics can lead to what we call "Electronic Whack-A-Mole". Once the first few of those capacitors fails, it can become a downhill snowball.

Reactions: BC Coyote
OK, I guess I'm up next. I have the electrolytic capacitor kit that you need for this radio;

https://klondikemikescapkits.com/products/teaberry-stalker-xx-electrolytic-capacitor-kit

tea9pile1c_a9919497-c01f-458f-8a6f-d5033112f469_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Reactions: BC Coyote

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1