• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tech license, cost? How long?

scatrbrain

Feb 26, 2006
Wichita Kansas
kansaslife.net
Sorry if this has been posted already, i did look but couldnt find the answers.

Im taking my Tech test next Tuesday and I understand that the license itself used to be no cost. Is this still the case?

How long does it take to get your license once you have passed the test?

Im going to buy my radio tomorrow so i can listen in untill I take (and pass) the test.

Thanks!

It cost me $12.50 to take the test, and if you pass your call sign will be posted on the FCC website in about 3-5 days. When you see your call sign listed then you can get on the air.
Ed
KC0PZE

The test cost me $14.00 with no extra cost if you want to take general once they correct your test and see you have past. You will know if you pasted before you leave. Once they turn in your paper work it should be around a week before it's posted. Once it is posted you will be able to operate. It will be another week or two before you get your paper license. Good luck. KI4MSJ

You'll want to communicate with the VEC's administering the test to find out what they charge for administering it so you don't get caught off guard. Should be somewhere between roughly $10 and $15 typically however.

$14 up here and its valid for 10 years, tech is element 2. usually it will take less than 12 mins to complete.if you pass your element 3 general you will have 1 year to pass element 1 cw , if you pass element 1 without your element 3 written you will gain a litte bit of hf use with limited power output (200 watts on 10m for example). tech's usally can found on 2m/220/440/and 6m.

practice tests online

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.