• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tech ticket help

packrat

Sep 24, 2008
S.W. Florida
Hey all you Hams out there. I have been thinking about getting my ticket, but I am a real procrastinator and not real good about studying on my own:thumbdown:. I lose interest quickly. BUT, I am great in a classroom environment,(y) so I have been trying to find a licensing class in my area for a while, but no one responds to me emails. How do I get into a class? I live in S.W. Fla if that makes a difference. I know with the right environment, I will be on my way.

Thanks for the help in advance. PM me if you want and I will respond.

PR

Start asking around about a local ham club. Next time you see someone getting into a car with ham plates ask him how you can take a local course. Most hams are eager to help a newbie get started.Maybe the ARRL website has a listing of clubs in your area.Often you do not have to be a licensed ham to join the club as long as you are planning to get your ticket. A word of wisdom however,leave any comments about CB/freebanding out of the conversations or you will be looked upon with suspicion and disdain from many members especially if you show up with with a Galaxy on the dash and a 16 pill in the seat beside you.:laugh:

Hey Packrat,

If no luck asking around locally, register and post your inquiry at the ham supersite, www.qrz.com

Someone there should be able to point you towards a local club.

Good luck

interview.gif

can you narrow down "sw florida" a little? tampa? fort myers? naples?

i know of at least 5 clubs with in 30 miles of me

A local club up here in Michigan is planning a 2 day weekend cram course.8 hour class on Saturday and review on Sunday, followed by exam.If you could find something like that down there. You could be licensed in 2 days.
Rich

Ticket

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I finally got ahold of a member of one of the local clubs, and they are having classes here in Jan. so I will be joining these. I will finally be able to legally use the knowledge I have aquired over the years.:D

I got my Tech license just a few weeks ago. This is what I did. I went to www.qrz.com and took the practice tests every night for a week. The following week I took 6 tests a night (use tests 1-11; they are all a mixed repetition after that. Alternating 1-6 and 5-11 every other day). About an hour every night, or close to that.

Then I located a testing site that was close to me thru qrz. The night before the exam I took test after test after test - I must have done over a 1,000 questions - with no doubt. But, by the end of that evening I was getting 100%'s on all of my tests. I got up that morning and took three practice tests, just to see how I would do. Got 100% on all of them, so I knew I was ready.

Went down that same morning to the testing site (fortunately, I didn't have to drive 190 miles! wow!) and paid the $10 fee, sat down and took the test. Got a 100% on the test the first time - and that's a fact. The test isn't easy as some had led me to believe; but if you do the way I did - I'll bet ya that you will do as good - or good enough to pass.
That is they way it happened...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.