• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Technician Class study material.

Marty

Feb 13, 2007
Twilight Zone
I been using the net and books from Radio Shack from the 1970's for my info, I saw a Book at Fry's by Gordon West called Technician Class that I am going to buy, what other books would you recommend?

Try the practice tests at QRZ.

If some give you trouble, google the question.

The Tech is very easy. Most ?'s are bands and RF exposure, a little bit of actual radio know-how.

With multiple guess, it turns out to be a true/false test. Four answers, usually two are rediculous, the other two are likely.

If you get it from a book from the 70's, you are probably better prepared than most.

Yes,I have been doing the QRZ test and I range from 74-87 on all the test in the Technician Class, just from I know, but I think I need to study more.

I recommend a book called "Now You're Talking!: All You Need to Get Your First Ham Radio License". 4th edition.

It could be at your local library, but I recommend this on your bookshelf for a study guide and a reference book.

I agree...... this is a great study guide. I still use guide to reference back on things i'm not sure of. It's kinda like the bible for amateur radio. Good luck on your test.

Reactions: Geekster
I too concurr on the "Now Your'e Talking". That is what I used. As mentioned previously, take the online tests at Eham and QRZ. When you can score in the upper 80's-lower 90's you should be good to go. At QRZ change the test version each time you take the test to get a different mixture of questions from the test pool.

Good Luck on your Test!(y)

Wayne C.

One more thumbs up for Now You're Talking. That book got me going and I had my ticket within 2 months. It is a good book just to learn more about radio in general. It helped me understand alot of things about 11 meters that I didn't know.

One more thumbs up for Now You're Talking. That book got me going and I had my ticket within 2 months. It is a good book just to learn more about radio in general. It helped me understand alot of things about 11 meters that I didn't know.

I second that, but i only had 3 weeks to study due to the VE team rotating from town to town on a 3 month schedule. wow its been 14 years(y)

I have exactly just what you need to pass I passed today with 100%. I used this the last 2 weeks and passed with no problem so it does help after this you can go to qrz.com and do there practice tests and the more you use the study Ill send you the more your test score will go up each day when you try a test. Send me an email and Ill forward the material to you its a small file but you will be happy with it it worked great for me. You can use it on the computer or print it out and look at it maybe 2 times a day and in a few weeks you will do great or possibly even less time it all depends how often and serious you are about studying its simple and it locks right into your brain and the right answers will jump out at you with each test question in a short time again depending how often and dedicated you are to studying. Ill shoot you a PM with my EMAIL send me a test email and Ill send you the study along with the privaliges you will get with the tech license :)

Does it have the general info?

I passed it a little more than a year before the code was dropped, but would like to have a good read.

Gordon West books are excellent, I used the Extra book to study for my test. What I liked about his books is he takes the time to show you the formula's and little tricks to remember them. As far as the QRZ tests I took those too. It worked when I took the exam, I aced it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.