• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tecsun Radio Differences

frjeff

May 17, 2023
I read many conflicting reviews of the various Tecsun radios. Many of the reviews measure the radio against its price.
So, to help in my buying decision, of the following radios, if the prices were identical, which would you buy? Add your reasons, if you wish….

PL330
PL660
PL680
PL880

The higher the number, the better its specs will be, therefore the PL880 would be the pick of this bunch. I have a PL660 and I have mixed thoughts on it. I mean it does work and quite well but some of its electronics programming and button layout can get on my nerves a bit. I think it would be a good radio once you have all the settings and memory frequencies you want actually stored or in place, so all you have to do is turn it on and choose which station or channel you want to listen to then go to it. I simply got tired of messing around with it and shortly after I bought it, I just put it back on the box and left it sitting there. I take it out every now 'n' then but it doesn't take me long to put it back...

11mGuy

it depends on what you want. SSB? AA, BL-5, or 18650 battery? do you prefer knobs, buttons or thumbwheels? direct frequency entry?

I got a PL-606. suits me just fine.

I suspect the reception and audio quality (on headphones) is the same as any other Tecsun digital radio. the reception is good, the audio quality needs better equalization. I have an R-909 with a hair better reception and a Yacht Boy 205 that is a hair better reception and definitely better audio quality than either of those. although I have a bunch of other SW radios that I haven't made direct comparisons with that might also be better than the Tecsuns. all are close enough to not worry about the difference.

so if there is a difference in reception and audio quality among the Tecsun digital radios I would bet it's not enough to make a difference.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.