• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Terminated endfed inverted Vee

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
1625790497048.jpg

Of course there will be spiking patterns on the upper bands.
However, I heard/read time and again about hams wanting a single antenna with a good SWR across the HF spectrum and no tuner.
Many have claimed the EFHW multiband is such an antenna. It is not. It's good for about 4 bands, everything else is only useful with a tuner.
I made and remade 49:1, 64:1, 56:1, transformers looking for what I was doing wrong, only to eventually learn that I was doing nothing wrong, the EFHW just wasn't as good as its reputation.
I read about Terminated Endfed inverted Vee antenna. I'm not dumb, I realize the weaknesses of such an antenna system. I also know the it is the only true no tuner antenna type broad spectrum HF 160m to 10m system.
One exists, and this is it.
Someone who more than likely has never built one will puff their great chest out, dig into the vast depths of their scientific mind and say, "even a dummy load gets a good SWR on all bands". DUH
The obvious, and the stupidest thing a true ham will say.
Dummy loads don't make contacts hundreds to thousands of miles away.

So, miss the point, and you'll not get it.
That's okay, too.
Get the one and only simple point of posting this antenna and you now know that there exists a single antenna that covers 160m to 10m without the need of a tuner.

Hi Homer,

I'm using a homebrew terminated end fed antenna based on the dimensions of the Bushcomm Mil-1.

I have homebrewed a 9:1 unun on a BN73-202 binocular core, and a 470R thick film carbon resistor. Only use QRP so the small size of the balun is not a problem, and neither is not using a heatsink on the 100W rated resistor.

Before using this I was a bit sceptical about using a terminated antenna at QRP power levels, however it is working really well for me. I find it fantastic for making the most of my very short portable operating sessions and am having great results with it strung up at no mpre than 2 metres above ground.

It's fantastic being fully frequency agile with no need for a tuner or for making adjustments to the antenna. Like you, I am full aware that there are weaknesses, but these are more than compensated for by the benefits to me. And the performance is actually pretty good. Over the past couple of weeks I've had QRP to QRP contacts across Europe, had easy QSOs into Algeria and a fantatic QSO on 17m with NY2PO (3480 miles, or 5601km) early the other evening. All of these have been while operating portable with minimum of equipment and at a maximum power of 5W.

Very pleased indeed.

73 M3KXZ

Of course there will be spiking patterns on the upper bands.
However, I heard/read time and again about hams wanting a single antenna with a good SWR across the HF spectrum and no tuner.
Many have claimed the EFHW multiband is such an antenna. It is not. It's good for about 4 bands, everything else is only useful with a tuner.
I made and remade 49:1, 64:1, 56:1, transformers looking for what I was doing wrong, only to eventually learn that I was doing nothing wrong, the EFHW just wasn't as good as its reputation.
I read about Terminated Endfed inverted Vee antenna. I'm not dumb, I realize the weaknesses of such an antenna system. I also know the it is the only true no tuner antenna type broad spectrum HF 160m to 10m system.
One exists, and this is it.
Someone who more than likely has never built one will puff their great chest out, dig into the vast depths of their scientific mind and say, "even a dummy load gets a good SWR on all bands". DUH
The obvious, and the stupidest thing a true ham will say.
Dummy loads don't make contacts hundreds to thousands of miles away.

So, miss the point, and you'll not get it.
That's okay, too.
Get the one and only simple point of posting this antenna and you now know that there exists a single antenna that covers 160m to 10m without the need of a tuner.

Homer,

The Point? I get it. (y)
And those dummy load naysayers can go jump in a lake. :D

Last edited:
Hi Homer,

I'm using a homebrew terminated end fed antenna based on the dimensions of the Bushcomm Mil-1.

I have homebrewed a 9:1 unun on a BN73-202 binocular core, and a 470R thick film carbon resistor. Only use QRP so the small size of the balun is not a problem, and neither is not using a heatsink on the 100W rated resistor.

Before using this I was a bit sceptical about using a terminated antenna at QRP power levels, however it is working really well for me. I find it fantastic for making the most of my very short portable operating sessions and am having great results with it strung up at no mpre than 2 metres above ground.

It's fantastic being fully frequency agile with no need for a tuner or for making adjustments to the antenna. Like you, I am full aware that there are weaknesses, but these are more than compensated for by the benefits to me. And the performance is actually pretty good. Over the past couple of weeks I've had QRP to QRP contacts across Europe, had easy QSOs into Algeria and a fantatic QSO on 17m with NY2PO (3480 miles, or 5601km) early the other evening. All of these have been while operating portable with minimum of equipment and at a maximum power of 5W.

Very pleased indeed.

73 M3KXZ
Great job with your handiwork. There's nothing like building something that gets the job done.

Reactions: NZ8N and Crawdad
YO Mr. HomerBB: What is "Tefiva" is this some kind of antenna or antenna kit. Not seeing it on the net.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.....

This antenna design is in some military field manuals as a vertical half rhombic. It works best if it is at least two wavelengths at the lowest operating frequency, but it does work at shorter lengths.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.