• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Testing signal generator ouput

2FB327

Oct 31, 2012
I have a leader LAG audio generator, how do I go about checking it's output?
When I inject the tone into the mic jack, it is there you can hear it and see it on the scope, and when I change the dial the tone changes, but how do I go about checking to see if the 1kHZ tone is in fact at 1kHZ.
I thought it would be as simple as connection a frequency counter, but I get nothing, what am I missing?

Thanks Robb, I got the tone, I trying to figure out how to check the output of the generator.

Thanks Robb, I got the tone, I trying to figure out how to check the output of the generator.

Read up on how to determine the frequency of an audio signal on a scope. It will still depend on how well the equipment you are using is calibrated.
If you can listen to the 1kHz signal from the generator and also listen to a known accurate 1kHz audio signal at the same time you should be able to tell if they are zero beat or not. Not really any different than tuning a guitar string to another that is fretted. Same with using a crystal calibrator on a receiver.

As hurricane145 said, a calibrated scope would be the best way to determine the peak to peak voltage. If you need RMS; then you will need to apply a formula to what it shows. Your DVM should have AC volts in there; that should give you something if your scope isn't accurate.

I posted that link because your freq generator may not be on freq. You can compare the tones and zero beat them. This will tell you the degree of error your generator has.

Reactions: 2FB327
your audio generator is putting out an AC waveform, so your freq counter should be able to read the frequency of this waveform.

you may have to put your counter on a different setting in order to read the 1000hz.

set the audio gen for about the same level output you would use going into your mic jack when you do this test.

if the counter wont read the 1000hz, you need to change its settings.
LC

your audio generator is putting out an AC waveform, so your freq counter should be able to read the frequency of this waveform.

you may have to put your counter on a different setting in order to read the 1000hz.

set the audio gen for about the same level output you would use going into your mic jack when you do this test.

if the counter wont read the 1000hz, you need to change its settings.
LC

In all likelihood a counter will NOT be able to lock onto a signal that low. Microphone driving levels will in no way be high enough for a counter to lock onto. You would have to crank the output level up quite high to be able to see it on a counter. Frequency will remain constant regardless of output level.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.