• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star 250 HD Resistor

RobInSTL5150

Jan 11, 2022
Trying to find a schematic or photo to identify this apparently quite toasty resistor. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3726[1].JPG
    IMG_3726[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3725[1].JPG
    IMG_3725[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 94

I did have to correct my OP it is a 250 HD and only schematic I have is the 350 HD. Poor resistor is so toast it's just ash looks like it had a major overheat.

That resistor connects the transistor's base lead to ground. The base is the input. Voltages there are fairly low, and the current this will push through a 10-ohm resistor won't overheat it.

Until someone causes the RF transistor to fail. They tend to short between the collector and the base. The collector is the output side of the transistor, connected to the 12-Volt main power. This shoots 12, or 13.8 or whatever the power source is the wrong way out of the transistor's input side. Twelve volts applied to a 10-ohm resistor will release 14.4 Watts of heat. Naturally, the half-Watt resistor in the pic gets toasty from a 28-to-one overload factor.

The real news is the cost and risk of replacing the transistors. The resistor alone is the cheap part of any real repair.

That's my thought since it sure seems obvious the pill went and have to weigh the cost of that to see if this unit it worth fixing or not. I do have some of the HG pills here but not for the 250 and remember those running around 90 total.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.