• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star 350HDV ?

ponykilr

Feb 20, 2014
I have a chance at a Texas Star 350HDV for $100. This is a "high drive" amp. What does this mean to me compared to a 350DX? Will it work fine with a fairly stock SSB CB? How many amps dead key and swing will make it work well?

If it's working and not been beat on that's a good deal!!! Will work fine with a single final radio, am set dead key to 2-4 max with a single final radio. Good luck and read the posted link above great info!!!

I have a chance at a Texas Star 350HDV for $100. This is a "high drive" amp. What does this mean to me compared to a 350DX? Will it work fine with a fairly stock SSB CB? How many amps dead key and swing will make it work well?

Ponykilr. HD or high drive means that the final output transistors get power directly from your radio. If your amplifier has a driver transistor inside, then the final output transistors are getting power from the driver. Your radio drives the driver in the amp and that driver drives the final transistors. I'm this "low drive" setup, the radio does not have to have very much power at all to drive the amp. Ie: your radio can key up at 1 watt. The driver will then amplify that signal to say 10 watts. The final transistors may amplify the signal to 100 watts. If that same amp did not have a driver. Them it would be relying on the radio to provide the power. If the radio can only generate 1 watt at key up, then that high drive may only be putting out 10 watts instead of 100.

Amps with drivers inside May be able to generate more power when you have. Radio that isn't powerful but the downside is that if you're not careful, you can overdrive that final output transistor section.

To answer you question re: the dx350 and dx350hdv...the HDv has a variable output control so you can turn down the output power. They tend to go bad after some time though and you end up bypassing them later.

Hope that helps.

CbRadiosPRONTO

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.