• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

texas star 400 4x2290 drive ?

Tony

Nov 24, 2007
Can you drive 4 2290s ? Or should I say a texas star400 I know that it wouln't be advised but I know that you can do drive 2 2879s with a 2290 and 4 28s by 2 2290s ect .....and I did drive a texas star 500 with a mod v even did a 95t into it and it didn't hurt it ....so could I do a mod v into a 400 with burning it up ? I know I shouldn't do it but according to specs but said the same about the 500 .....so I will quit babling I was just wondering if driving it would be worth while if I only get like 40 watts or some thing I won't bother but a 100 + is worth it to me thanks

here's the way it works.

to increase your signal by 1 S-unit in someone's receiver, you have to quadruple your power output.

that means if you put out 100w deadkey right now, you have to up it to 400w deadkey to go from say 5 to 6 S units in someone else's radio.

so, in your case, i would say you would not gain much of anything for your efforts.
LC

I've done this in the past, both on a 400 and a 500.

The 400, you'll get about 600 out of, peak.

Keep the carrier about 100-120 watts. Maybe slightly less. I prefer 1/5 carrier / PEP swing, especially running a mod box.

The 2879 pretty much saturates with CLEAN power out at 15 watts input. The 2290, in class AB, with about 12. SO, at about 50 PEP, you're going to not see much increase in output, just make the meter move farther to the right, if that makes any kind of sense....

If you have the mod V, turn the variable to the point you get about 60 on a AAAUUUUUUUUdio. Then bring the deadkey in your radio up to the point where you're deadkeying the same with and without the mod box on. If you have the Mod +, then hit the yellow button in, mine does about 55 watts that way, 85 with the button out, unless I'm running one of my assym mod radios, then it's a flat out 85 no matter what...

Again, then turn the radio to where the deadkey is the same mod box on or off. There is a variable cap inside the mod+ to affect this 'modulator' effect, you can pretty much use that cap to set the mod point at anywhere between 1 and 4 watts of carrier... Each box slightly diff, but you get the idea.

Set up that way, your 400 should still like you :)

--Toll_Free

Can you drive 4 2290s ? Or should I say a texas star400 I know that it wouln't be advised but I know that you can do drive 2 2879s with a 2290 and 4 28s by 2 2290s ect .....and I did drive a texas star 500 with a mod v even did a 95t into it and it didn't hurt it ....so could I do a mod v into a 400 with burning it up ? I know I shouldn't do it but according to specs but said the same about the 500 .....so I will quit babling I was just wondering if driving it would be worth while if I only get like 40 watts or some thing I won't bother but a 100 + is worth it to me thanks

Be careful Tony, your driving those Texas Stars very hard that way for such a small gain it's not worth it. I would actually not want to buy any amp from you after you abused them like that.

The best gain you will ever make is when you go from say a barefoot radio that does 30 watts to a 250-350 watt amp. Thats an increase of 10x for 300 watts. People will take notice to that. If you go from 400 watts to 500 no one will even notice. You must DOUBLE your power to gain 1/2 an S unit.

2879 finals are getting very expensive, don't want to see you make a 125 dollar mistake with your TS400.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.