• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star 667v

fourstringburn

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM
Feb 11, 2007
NEW MEXICO
Just curious about the true output wattage of the newer version of the texas 667v amp. I have used three meters and get three totally different readings.

I'am running a President HR 2600 radio with a 4 watt dead key and a swing to about 25 watts on A.M. on 28.000 Mhz. My antennas are tuned to this frequency and show a SWR reading about 1.1 with the linear off and rises to about 1.3 with the linear on.

With this information I have given, what would be the output wattage I should expect?

I rather not give out what watt my meters read, I am trying to get what others have measured with their meters for a more definitive or average readout.

Last edited:
I rather not give out what watt my meters read, I am trying to get what others have measured with their meters for a more definitive or average readout.

Years ago I had a 667V that used a Toshiba 2290 driving 4 2879's. Typically, I saw 325 watts AM RMS (Bird watts in CB lingo) and 475 watts peak on SSB. These measurments were made using a 50 ohm dummy load through a low pass filter. For accuracy, it is my opinion that you should always measure the solid state unfiltered CB type amps into a dummy load through a low pass filter.

The reasoning is if you have any VHF harmonics (solid state devices generate odd harmonics) on your signal, it can throw off your readings, especially with some of the cheaper cb type meters.

Interesting.Being that texas star calls this a 667, the claim is it should put out at least 600 watts. The problem is, there are to many power scales and ways of measuring that you have to wonder what's accurate or inflated for marketing purposes. So if a bird meter (which i been told is one standard of accurate measure)would show 350 rms watts output, then it seems somewhat deceptive to call this a 667 or 2/3 kilowatts as the older models were called.

The 667 is a cranky low drive amp that tends to run hot. I would drop your input dead key on AM right away to 1.25 - 1.75 watts. The max peak input should be kept under say 30 watts. With an old version RCI 2950 into a 667 with a Bird 43p meter I saw 515 peak watts on AM. That was working it pretty hard. A radio like a Uniden Grant xl would be perfect for a TS667. Hope that helps.

By the way, if you keep running 4 watts dead key you WILL burn out the variable pot or keying transistor or both. Just a suggestion.

fourstringburn, im running a hr-2510 and a texas star dx500v and see 500 watts pep with a yaesu ys-60 meter. radio is set at 2.5 watts dead key swing to 25 watts. im useing a stock radio. the dx500v is just a 667v with out the driver. id do like 9c1driver told ya and lower that dead key a little for am. dead keying my radio into the dx500v at 2.5 watts im getting a 125 watt dead key out of the amp swing to 500 watts. oh ya, im running the amp on a pyramid ps-86kx power supply.

Would take the 500 over the 667 any day of the week , better running amp . The driver tends to be over kill with the 667s (as so many driver driven amps are) 190/9C1 and 295 are pretty much in the ball park on this one.

This forum once had some great info on these amps and why they do what they do but that part of the Forum was lost with the change over 1.5 years ago. http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-cb-services-discussion/28845-texas-star-667-a.html

Last edited:
I think we all should consider a couple of things about 'CB' amplifiers. Those things stem from the fact that there are no 'standards' of -any- kind for them. Size, weight, 'style', names, claims, and so on, which says nothing about their electrical abilities, quality assurance practices, etc, etc. So, because there are no standards, it's all assumptions, opinions, and marketing. (Don't know about you, but it reminds me a lot of buying stuff from 'eBay' by the uninformed/initiated? Eeuuooo, nasty thought!)
So since there are no 'set' standards for the whole contraption, to get a fair idea of what they are capable of, will normally do, you have to back up a step or two and start looking at the components used to make that contraption. A very good item to take a look at in that regard is the amplifying devices used. Another very good idea is to take the man ufacturer's word for what those devices will do, how they perform, and what they are NOT capable of withstanding. I mean, 'they' make the silly things, 'they' certainly ought to know, hadn't 'they'? (If you think that they don't know almost all the ways, and combinations of ways of abusing their products, oh are you mistaken!) For some odd reason, I tend to believe the ones who have standards they have to meet. I tend to sort of believe those who don't have standards, but also reserve the right to 'salt' their claims with observable facts. Of those two, guess which is the safest to believe generally.
***"But everybody says...", please tell me you don't really believe all of that kind'a stuff. (Or better yet, tell me you're interested in buy this fabulou$ boat I just happen to have for $ale! And I -know- you aren't that naive.)
Think about it then tell me how any of that is wrong.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.