• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star DX 350 question

boxcar112

Apr 13, 2010
Hello I have a texas star dx 350 that has a problem when I key up it does nothing the relay makes no clicking noise.I know when you press the power button on or turn on the pre amp the relay is suppose to click it does nothing any suggestions on what might be wrong with it.I got the box for free because the guy who gave it to me thought the transistors was bad but they aint they check out good with a ohm meter.I know most texas star dx350s have two 2sc2879s in them mine has 2 srf3662s in it they are rated at a 110 watts a piece.If i have to spend the money to take this thing to a shop to get it working I will because it will put out more than my other amp will.How do these things have 4 power levels is what I would like to know to mine has 4 push buttons on it.

More often then not there have been issues with ts's soldering and after years of heat ups and cool down cycles these colder joints go dry and I have fixed a couple no relay actions due to dry solder joints so you might open it up and key it up and just give the relay a wiggle to check for this.

Reactions: 1 person
my guess would be to check Q1 which is a 2N4126 transistor.

remove it from the circuit and check it like you would any other PNP transistor.

here is a diagram so you can find Q1:

http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/txstar/dx250_dx350/graphics/dx350_inter_connection_diagram.gif

also, usually you cant just replace transistors in a linear amp with different transistors without also changing the related components.
there are many other factors to consider other than wattage rating.
has this amp ever worked with those substitute transistors in it?

one thing i always remind people of when they are thinking of replacing the stock transistors in an amp or CB radio with so-called "higher output" devices, is that you have to increase your transmitting power by 4x to gain 1 S-unit in someone's receive.

good luck with it,
LC

about the power levels.

when you you push the power switch in to turn the amp on, and no other buttons are pushed in, you are on high power.

push in the green button and you will be at the next lowest power level.

with only the yellow button pushed in, you will be at the next lowest power level. (yes, this button also turns on the SSB delay, which confuses people sometimes. its just the texas star way. when you choose SSB delay, you also choose a lower power level)

if you push both buttons in, you are on the lowest power level.
yes, you will also have the SSB delay turned on.

this is just the way texas star builds their amps.
go figure.
LC

I have the same deal, I on the other hand have a High Drive DX 350 HDV, lights come on has power but no swing on the needle,,,,I got mine at a church sale for a buck, guy says it works but did not know on what, he said either a Ham or Cb,,, how do you fine out ?

Texas Star 350 Mobile Regular

hi all. would the Texas Star 350 Mobile Regular be ok on 20 meters it is a good looking amp and cheep. thank you paul vk2hmv

hi all. would the Texas Star 350 Mobile Regular be ok on 20 meters it is a good looking amp and cheep. thank you paul vk2hmv

Hello, welcome to the forum. You might try starting a new thread with your question rather then "highjacking" an old thread. You might get more views and a faster reply that way.

NO!*Don`t do it* Keep it off of the HF bands if you want to keep the respect of the elder hams....

I had the same problem with my TS DX500. One day it did the same nothing you describe. I was running it with my old Galaxy Dx99v which has since parrished in a truck fire. I had the amp fixed and the radio turned down (Whatever that meant) to work with the Galaxy. I want to use the amp again and i am lookin for a new radio. Magnum S9 maybe if it is compatible.

I had the same problem with my TS DX500. One day it did the same nothing you describe. I was running it with my old Galaxy Dx99v which has since parrished in a truck fire. I had the amp fixed and the radio turned down (Whatever that meant) to work with the Galaxy. I want to use the amp again and i am lookin for a new radio. Magnum S9 maybe if it is compatible.

A Texas Star 500 will work fine with a Magnum S9.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.