• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star DX1200 vs DX1600

There is more to it then that. This holds true for any transistor amplifier, you repair with the same finals that are broke, and you don't "up-grade" an amp by swapping in bigger finals. If you do there are several things that need re-worked or changed.

Reactions: 2 people
Ok. I was asking because I saw a dx1200 for sale dirt cheap. They had replaced the 2290s with 2879s. I was curious to know if that would harm things or not. I haven't begun to get into amp info yet. I'm still too busy with trying to learn everything no one cared to know about antennas and coax.

Ok. I was asking because I saw a dx1200 for sale dirt cheap. They had replaced the 2290s with 2879s. I was curious to know if that would harm things or not. I haven't begun to get into amp info yet. I'm still too busy with trying to learn everything no one cared to know about antennas and coax.

The only way I would buy it is if it was dirt cheap. If all they did was swap finals you can get it fixed easy. If they "modded it" themselves it's probably janked up and it's worth keeping the finals and parts. By chance IF they sent it away to an amp builder who upgraded things to work with the larger finals then you hit a home run.

Reactions: 1 person
Is the only difference between these amps the transistors? Can you just swap out the 2sc2290 transistors with 2sc2879 transistors? Or is there more differences?

The difference between the 1200 and 1600 is that the 1200 Hot Plate is a piece of shit and the 1600 Sweet Sixteen is a bigger piece of shit.
Every amp that has upgraded finals with no other work done is a FAIL!

^^ ab v c^^
( this is the class ab verse class c smile)

Lol, Psycho don`t like Texas Star amp`s( can you tell?) but they serve a purpose.
For the everyday AM ragchewer you will find most CB op`s will run class c just because they are cheaper, require a little less current and run cooler.
First of all, forget getting the model numbers amount in output power, the sweet 16 is a good 800 watt SSB amp that must have the fan kits installed.
Why anyone would switch the 2290`s for 2879`s I do not understand, unless all of the transistors are bad, and if ALL of them are bad something went wrong somewhere and you don`t want to be the one to find out.
Overdrive, overheat, over-volted,or high SWR/shorted coax could all be the possible death of them.
I really would pass unless it is cheap enough to be worth the risk.
I would want to see it, and see it work before i plunked the $$ down, look for sloppy soldering, mismatched components, scorched resistors, paint baked off the combiners, and the feed back ( I have seen this before...More power, why waste it on negative feedback lol) networks removed are signs of a screwdriver`ed amp.

Jeff

I already decided against it. It makes me too nervous. I was going to sell my new Xforce 600HD to pay for it. I don't have the money to be constantly fixing it. I will just save up and buy new some time down the road. It was $350 for it which seemed like a good deal if things were done right. I saw a pic of the internals and it was a bit sketchy. I even saw a crimp type terminal connector in there. :thumbdown:

From the sounds of things, I am not sure if people realize there are more than 1 Texas Star 1600. There are three models.
The first is the old style DX1600 which is 8 2sc2879s and AB1 class.
The second is the DX1600V with 2 2sc2290s driving 8 2sc2879s that is switchable between a low drive and a high drive amp. The 8 2879s can be run without the 2290 drivers, or the 2 2sc2290s as a separate amp if you don't need 1200W. I like that feature. This is also AB1 and has an internal fan.
The third is the DX1600X that has the switchable biasing circuit for AB or the biasing can be bypassed. Though, I don't have a clue what purpose that serves. this one also has the internal fan.

Reactions: 1 person
I already decided against it. It makes me too nervous. I was going to sell my new Xforce 600HD to pay for it. I don't have the money to be constantly fixing it. I will just save up and buy new some time down the road. It was $350 for it which seemed like a good deal if things were done right. I saw a pic of the internals and it was a bit sketchy. I even saw a crimp type terminal connector in there. :thumbdown:

From the sounds of things, I am not sure if people realize there are more than 1 Texas Star 1600. There are three models.
The second is the DX1600V with 2 2sc2290s driving 8 2sc2879s that is switchable between a low drive and a high drive amp. The 8 2879s can be run without the 2290 drivers, or the 2 2sc2290s as a separate amp if you don't need 1200W. I like that feature. This is also AB1 and has an internal fan.
The third is the DX1600X that has the switchable biasing circuit for AB or the biasing can be bypassed. Though, I don't have a clue what purpose that serves. this one also has the internal fan.

Texas star also makes a switchable bias 4 pill but talk about pricey.....over $500!

Texas star also makes a switchable bias 4 pill but talk about pricey.....over $600!

Texas star also makes a switchable bias 4 pill but talk about pricey.....over $600! You can buy a brand new X Force TNT 600HD AND a TNT 250 driver amp for LESS money.

Texas star also makes a switchable bias 4 pill but talk about pricey.....over $600! You can buy a brand new X Force TNT 600HD AND a TNT 250 driver amp for LESS money.

I see no point to having switchable biasing. I would't waist my money on that.
I actually have an Xforce TNT 600HD. I bet it is a great amp but I blew it up the first day. I'll have a better idea of how good it is when it gets back from repair. I am not going to push it for its full advertised output again. Lack of experience on my part. I think I would rather have something that I don't have to drive the snot out of to see 800W. I also would prefer to have AB instead of B class.

I see no point to having switchable biasing. I would't waist my money on that.

I agree, if the amp has biasing why turn it off.

I think I would rather have something that I don't have to drive the snot out of to see 800W.

Good thinking, less stress, less heat, cleaner output.

I also would prefer to have AB instead of B class.

The bias schemes that are used in these amps are not regulated, not the TnT amps, not even the Texas Star.
You will find that both have there downfalls, and to honest were you are using the amp there is not much difference.
I may get flamed for that statement, but it is what it is.
The best SSB set-up is a Amp with a good solid electronically regulated bias supply and filtering designed into the amp, something you will not find, well I should say you will rarely find in a "cb" style amp.
That is why you see such a price difference between solid state ham amps and these.

The best you can do is run a clean radio into them, keep the drive levels to a point were you are not stressing things and it is about as good as it gets.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.