• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star DX1200 vs DX1600

I see no point to having switchable biasing. I would't waist my money on that.
I actually have an Xforce TNT 600HD. I bet it is a great amp but I blew it up the first day. I'll have a better idea of how good it is when it gets back from repair. I am not going to push it for its full advertised output again. Lack of experience on my part. I think I would rather have something that I don't have to drive the snot out of to see 800W. I also would prefer to have AB instead of B class.

If you blew an amp like that on the first day, you have more issues than overdriving going on. Sounds like an antenna issue because these B biased amps can take abuse.
I owned a Magnaforce 600 and drove the crap out of it with Magnaforce 200 2x2290....never a problem in the 8 years I beat on it.

If you blew an amp like that on the first day, you have more issues than overdriving going on. Sounds like an antenna issue because these B biased amps can take abuse.
I owned a Magnaforce 600 and drove the crap out of it with Magnaforce 200 2x2290....never a problem in the 8 years I beat on it.

You are such a Psycho! LOL :D

~Cheers~

" The bias schemes that are used in these amps are not regulated, not the TnT amps, not even the Texas Star.
You will find that both have there downfalls, and to honest were you are using the amp there is not much difference.
I may get flamed for that statement, but it is what it is.
The best SSB set-up is a Amp with a good solid electronically regulated bias supply and filtering designed into the amp, something you will not find, well I should say you will rarely find in a "cb" style amp.
That is why you see such a price difference between solid state ham amps and these.

The best you can do is run a clean radio into them, keep the drive levels to a point were you are not stressing things and it is about as good as it gets.

Jeff "

The ONLY cb style amplifier I have ever seen that had a regulated AB bias and filtering was the one and only Joker Amplifier. I wish I could find one.

" The bias schemes that are used in these amps are not regulated, not the TnT amps, not even the Texas Star.
You will find that both have there downfalls, and to honest were you are using the amp there is not much difference.
I may get flamed for that statement, but it is what it is.
The best SSB set-up is a Amp with a good solid electronically regulated bias supply and filtering designed into the amp, something you will not find, well I should say you will rarely find in a "cb" style amp.
That is why you see such a price difference between solid state ham amps and these.

The best you can do is run a clean radio into them, keep the drive levels to a point were you are not stressing things and it is about as good as it gets.

Jeff "

The ONLY cb style amplifier I have ever seen that had a regulated AB bias and filtering was the one and only Joker Amplifier. I wish I could find one.

Peakaboo has his own section on Mauldroppers, get in touch with him there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.