• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star dx350hdv

Oct 8, 2014
Next up is a near new Texas Star dx350hdv, only ran as a driver. I have the manual and bracket but no idea where the box is. Great shape $200 shipped, lower 48. Paypal verified.

Attachments

• 20160224_203107.jpg
    20160224_203107.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 20160224_203117.jpg
    20160224_203117.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 47

Since it's "near new" doe it have the DEI finals like the new models have or is it NOS with the Toshiba 2879's? Thanks, that will play a big part on the value of the amp.

Clean amp there. Shouldn't have any issue selling it, especially with the Toshiba 2879's in it!!

Next up is a near new Texas Star dx350hdv, only ran as a driver. I have the manual and bracket but no idea where the box is. Great shape $200 shipped, lower 48. Paypal verified.
What DK were you using and what kind of #'s were you seeing ? My Washington DK just under 4, which I don't want to lower.
David.....very interested.....paypal almost 10 yrs.

You will most likely have to lower the DK triple nickel. But I could be wrong. Even my magnaforce 350hd wirh Toshiba 2879's which is similar to this amp, didn't like much over 2w DK Max for it to DK 75-100 watts, which is a bit much for a 2 pill amp, but that is what the max was. At 2w it would DK about 75w or so and swing to about 300w on SSB depending on the pep input wattage. I know it's not the exact same amp, but very close. You may want to look into a 4 pill amp to keep your DK at 4w or more, especially with most newer amps.
Threre is a good review of this amp by cbradiomagazine, and even he states that this amp doesn't require much dead key power. He also went on to say that a 1w DK gave him an 80w carrier out of the amp and swing wattage of 225-250 watts. He even says he had to lower the DK to .75w to drop the DK to where it worked best. He does also state that he thinks the amp would take a 2-3 watt DK but that a lower DK would most likely yield better 1:4 ratio and also ensure the components don't die an early death from being over driven and having excessive heat build up. This is about the same exact thing I see with my magnaforce 350hd, at about 2w DK it has about a 75w carrier and swings to anywhere from 200-300 watts on SSB depending on the radio I use to drive it with. I have seen as much as 350-400 watts on SSB with my magnaforce 350hd, but this was pushing the crap out of it with a magnum 257hp @ 80w pep on SSB. Don't think you'll do that with the TS amp. At any rate, for what you are trying to accomplish, keeping your DK @ 4w, you might want to consider a TS500. JMHO.
Don't get me wrong, this is one NICE amp that is for sale and is worth the money. But if you don't lower the DK of your radio from 4w down to whatever it takes to get a 50-75w carrier out of this amp, you may end up toasting the amp or the keying circuit and other parts as well. JMHO's, but again, I would look into a 4 pill amp if you want to keep your DK stock. Better to loaf an amp then to drive the heck out of it!! And yes a high carrier will toast the amp.
Again, I could be wrong about this, but I just hate to see such a nice amp end up smoked due to it being over driven, Toshiba 2879's like the ones in the amp for sale are not easy to come by!! To the seller, sorry for the long post here, but like I said, is hate for someone to smoke such a nice amp and not be able to replace the transistors with the same kind very easy if at all. Hope it sells quick!! Pretty sure it will!!

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
My previous Silver Eagle was a two pill/mrf 455's and with the same radio had no problem, no heat and no fan either. I also read the same article that was in the cb magazine. Since you have the manual, what does it say about DK ?

I would forget what the manual says and use the 1:4 ratio. I guarantee majority will agree here, that a low DK is needed for this amp. From all I've read and also all the use of different 2 pill amps I have, I have found that 2w is about max DK for a normal 2 transistor amp, or better yet 1/4 of the total output. Which is normally about 200-300w depending on the drive and amp. A real class AB amp doesn't need much drive to make them work correclty. Just what I have been told by a few good amp techs. And from my own experiences as well.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
222 is right. On the 2 x 455 mrfs I found they did best with only 1w max, on many of the variations of that amp if you did 2w or higher the amp just hit its peak rather than key low and swing. With the xforce and texas star 2 x 2879's sweet spot was 2w input and swing up from there on AM.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.