• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star dx350hdv

Next up is a near new Texas Star dx350hdv, only ran as a driver. I have the manual and bracket but no idea where the box is. Great shape $200 shipped, lower 48. Paypal verified.
what are the minimum and max input wattages needed to get a reasonable output ??? I don't like to stress my toys... xxx

On AM, 2w DK, 8-10 watts pep. SSB 12-15 watts pep. You could probably push it a bit harder, but at the expense of added heat and just seeing the meter dance.

On AM, 2w DK, 8-10 watts pep. SSB 12-15 watts pep. You could probably push it a bit harder, but at the expense of added heat and just seeing the meter dance.
I just had a vintage 148gtl completely gone through and am looking for a amp to compliment it .. this sounds like a great match for this radio ...what were you asking for the amp ???

It's not my amp XXX, I just know the requirements for it. Sorry if I mislead you in any way. Amp was being sold by SmoothRadio912 and has been sold.
If you are looking for a decent amp for your 148gtl, I would recommend the TNT 350hd. If you can find an older one that is even better. The new ones aren't bad, and will work well with that radio as long as the dead key is lowered and the pep input to amp isn't too much. Here are the specs for the new TNT 350hd. They are made by Xforce. If it were me, I would stay away from the new Texas Star amps. But that is JMHO. Anyways here are the specs on the tnt 350hd.
Also depending on how many watts your radio does you can look at the cheaper RM Italy amps. Something like the KL300p or the KL203P. Neither require much drive and will blow if over driven very much.
The TNT 350hd cost much more. But is a better built amp IMO.
Also if you can find a magnaforce 350hd, which haven't been made for a while, they are good AM/SSB amps. Basicallylnmnmbbmm. Z they are the TNT 350hd in a different color casing and use toshiba 2879's. I have one and it will take some abuse. I don't use it much anymore but won't sell it due to the fact it has toshiba 2879's in it. Here are a couple of pics of it. Note how it is very similar to the TNT350hd. And also I included a couple pics of my TNT 600hd. It's an older one. Has toshiba 2879's as well. Made with the red dot type. The magnaforce has the older toshiba non red dot 2879's. Don't have time to pop the lids this morning as I have to head to work. But if you post a thread asking about purchasing one of these amps or one similar like the TS350hdv, you most likely will get a response or 2 I would think. Lots of people are getting out of the hobby at the moment due to the lack of DX.
The photos of the magnaforce 350hd will give you a good idea of how the TNT 350hd looks. Like I said, same amps, just a different case and different transistors were used as it's hard to get toshiba 2879's in bulk and keep the cost of these new amps somewhat reasonable. Hope this helps. And also you might try looking for a older palomar type amp that uses SD1446's or MRF454 type transistors. But again. The TNT 350hd will most likely be your best bet. Only other amp company I know of that is pretty good is BM Technologies. They make some nice amps as well. But aren't cheap. Also note how they look similar to the tnt350hd case. That is where the similarities stop though.
Hope all this helps and hope you find and amp. I would post a thread about it though and give as much info as possible as to how it and with what radio it will be used with as well as your antenna setup and so on. Again, hope it helps and sorry for the text wall. Have a good day.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    200 KB · Views: 6
  • image.png
    image.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.png
    image.png
    200 KB · Views: 6
  • image.png
    image.png
    798.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    993.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    840.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
It's not my amp XXX, I just know the requirements for it. Sorry if I mislead you in any way. Amp was being sold by SmoothRadio912 and has been sold.
If you are looking for a decent amp for your 148gtl, I would recommend the TNT 350hd. If you can find an older one that is even better. The new ones aren't bad, and will work well with that radio as long as the dead key is lowered and the pep input to amp isn't too much. Here are the specs for the new TNT 350hd. They are made by Xforce. If it were me, I would stay away from the new Texas Star amps. But that is JMHO. Anyways here are the specs on the tnt 350hd.
Also depending on how many watts your radio does you can look at the cheaper RM Italy amps. Something like the KL300p or the KL203P. Neither require much drive and will blow if over driven very much.
The TNT 350hd cost much more. But is a better built amp IMO.
Also if you can find a magnaforce 350hd, which haven't been made for a while, they are good AM/SSB amps. Basicallylnmnmbbmm. Z they are the TNT 350hd in a different color casing and use toshiba 2879's. I have one and it will take some abuse. I don't use it much anymore but won't sell it due to the fact it has toshiba 2879's in it. Here are a couple of pics of it. Note how it is very similar to the TNT350hd. And also I included a couple pics of my TNT 600hd. It's an older one. Has toshiba 2879's as well. Made with the red dot type. The magnaforce has the older toshiba non red dot 2879's. Don't have time to pop the lids this morning as I have to head to work. But if you post a thread asking about purchasing one of these amps or one similar like the TS350hdv, you most likely will get a response or 2 I would think. Lots of people are getting out of the hobby at the moment due to the lack of DX.
The photos of the magnaforce 350hd will give you a good idea of how the TNT 350hd looks. Like I said, same amps, just a different case and different transistors were used as it's hard to get toshiba 2879's in bulk and keep the cost of these new amps somewhat reasonable. Hope this helps. And also you might try looking for a older palomar type amp that uses SD1446's or MRF454 type transistors. But again. The TNT 350hd will most likely be your best bet. Only other amp company I know of that is pretty good is BM Technologies. They make some nice amps as well. But aren't cheap. Also note how they look similar to the tnt350hd case. That is where the similarities stop though.
Hope all this helps and hope you find and amp. I would post a thread about it though and give as much info as possible as to how it and with what radio it will be used with as well as your antenna setup and so on. Again, hope it helps and sorry for the text wall. Have a good day.

are the rm Italy amps considered spatter amps ??? I have seen them and they look cool ..no much 411 going around about them ... xxx

No they are a MOSFET amp and are AB biased. Just don't take much input power or AM dead key to make them work.

Reactions: XXX
No worries man. I am not an expert, but I try my best to help as much as possible. Hope you find a good amp that fits your needs!! Check your local Craigslist and you might get lucky. Also the forum for sale section here as well.
If I can help anymore, just ask man. There are many good gents here with a lot of great knowledge!! Best I can tell you is to get the best antenna setup you can and then add an amp. That is JMHO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.