• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TEXAS STAR DX500V

Jun 22, 2008
n.w. oregon
I bought a new dx500v to use as a base amp. do you all think a doc tuned hr-2510 doin 42 watts pep is to much drive for this amp.?? it is a stright 4 pill (2879).it will be operated on ssb mainly. also, what size wire would be good to use.?? i got about a 3 1/2 or 4 foot run to my 85 amp power supply.

i have a 500v on the base with a power supply . my variable is scratchy so i just leave the green button out so it bypasses the variable . my export modulates 19-20 watts and on my astatic 700 meter i get about 575 watts on modulation peaks . thats very close to what IMO is all the clean power that amp can do . however , if your variable on the amp is working right you should be able to reduce the drive going into the amp and not have a issue with the 2510 . ive read variables on cb amps arnt known for lasting long though . if you have issues it could be replaced with a higher quality one anthough im told texas star will send a new one if you call/write and ask .... . a fixed value could also be used . i asked about doing that a while back on another forum was told a "5 watt 25 ohm resistor" will give about half of the full output with the green buton in .
http://thequackshack.com/index.php?showtopic=21786&hl=500V

i use 4 gauge power wire on mine because i had extra and it was long enough .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.