• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star is using FAKE Toshibas!

B

big_sho9

Scroll to 11:00 on this BBI video to see the brand new Texas Star amp with fake Toshibas from the factory. This really blew my mind. If I had one of these, Id demand a refund! Has Texas Star done a recall yet?

Reactions: Tokin

That's old news. Been selling them like that for well over a year now.
With that said ive been told the "fakes" have been dissected and found to be built more stout than HG, DEI or any of the other replacements being made.
I also havent heard of any complaints about weak pills like dei had.
7eighteenelectronics is a texas star distributor on ebay and they never replied to my email inquiring about the fakes.

The thread I saw was dei's. This is good video proof. Anyhow, I don't believe a company like Texas Star didnt know the difference.
Texas star knows they are fakes but decided to believe they are some lost New Old Stock which is possible but not probable. Again, i havent seen any more pill complaints than with other transistors.
Ive sent questions to the sellers of the fakes on ebay and they claim theyre "take outs" from unused equipment or nos.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I have one of the new Texas Star Sweet Sixteen amplifiers.
It has been in operation for several months now.
And yes, it does have the "knockoffs" Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors in it straight from
7eighteenelectronics, straight from Texas Star.

I have had the covers off of it when it first arrived. I did this for a curiosity inspection.
Looks like any other Texas Star amplifier internally, except the output transformers have SMT capacitors across the collectors instead of metal clad.
I upgraded all the power wire to the boards and to the output transformers.

I did all of this before ever connecting it to DC power and operating it for the first time.
I did need to retune the input capacitor tuning somewhat, but other than that, this amplifier has been operating more than satisfactorily for several months.
Just sayin' ......

With about 60~80 watts from the transceiver, the amp will produce up to 1200~1250 watts PEP easily. I have put 100~105 watts into the amp. with 1450 plus PEP watts out.

The "fake" Toshibas have done okay.

Now then, I also have some "extra" fake Toshiba transistors, also from 7eighteenelectronics, same lot as came in the amplifier.

The internal construction of the "fakes" are pretty close to the original Toshiba's ...
They appear to be just about as robust and sturdy. They are very much more robustly built than the HG's, DEI's, or any other 2879's I have come across (other than original Toshiba's) .......
If I could keep getting the same LOT, I would probably prefer them over the HG's as they are better constructed than the HG's ......

Last edited:
I've had a DEI 12 transistor, ran perfect up until booze and cranking it up to full pep. Amp ran like I said"perfect" until I combined those two things. I've always ran 60%-70% of amps output, not that day.

Reactions: TIN_CAN
The best counterfeit 2SC2879 that can be purchased today is going to be about equal to an old MRF492. Run the part like it was a 492 and you'll be happy with it. Run it like an old school Toshiba and you'll let the smoke out.

Also beware of the 2SC2879C datasheet. You cannot raise the dissipation of a part without raising it's output collector capacitance. The 20 pf increase listed, is not at all proportional to the other increases they claim.

be built more stout than HG, DEI or any of the other replacements being made.
But there is no excuse that can be made for this. It says "toshiba' on the box. They should have toshibas in them or offer a refund. It upsets me when a large company does this type of treachery. I could see it if it was a Joe Blow box built in some guys garage, and sold on ebay. But texas star had a reputation. Not any more.

In the end if in fact Texas Star really thought they were purchasing new old stock Toshiba transistors, "if" that's really the case then I'm willing to bet they got burned too... That's if that really is the case. If they knew and intentionally tried to dupe us all then shame on them because it's a strike many will remember for quite some time.

But there is no excuse that can be made for this. It says "toshiba' on the box. They should have toshibas in them or offer a refund. It upsets me when a large company does this type of treachery. I could see it if it was a Joe Blow box built in some guys garage, and sold on ebay. But texas star had a reputation. Not any more.
Its an illegal amp sold under a guise to start with but i agree this is bogus and they had a good rep. Texas Star is like any other company and will go with the parts they get the best deal on as they have done in the past.
I dont think texas star thought they were real, they knew what they were but used them anyhow to save a buck.
Builders here in the US have been trying to keep something like this from happening by working with the legit semiconductor producers to help them build a better product and its working with HG. They continue to get better and advance their tech.
I wont support the folks buying and using the fakes. Sorry Texas Star...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?