• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star Linears on the amateur bands?

If i can get my 80 meter to tx on every thing from 10 to 80 i would guess it can radiate harmonics just the same..

Reactions: 928bolo
Some of those guys making/selling Ham amps are robbing people without using a gun.
Tokyo HiPower, etc, etc..$4,000 for an amp?!?
Oh - puhleeeze!

The problem with these Palomar amps is - that they are usually getting too many volts to drive them - for one. The 2SC2879's are designed to run at 12v; but most go well beyound that. I'd like to see an experiment where the voltage sent to this amp was set to 12v, put a tuneable filter between the rig and the amp - and then another tuneable filter AFTER the amp. Because, one will NEED to find a way to get around the high cost of amplifiers - when one knows that the prcie of transistors are cheap!

Even Ameritrons are pricey - when one considers what their dollar is buying!

A CLEAN & PROPERLY FILTERED amplifier cost much more than a DIRTY amplifier that has no filtering.$4000 is a pretty good deal because my ICOM PW-1 sells for $5000 & I think it's worth every one of those dollars since all I do is turn it on & it does everything else for me no matter what band or mode I'm on.

A CLEAN & PROPERLY FILTERED amplifier cost much more than a DIRTY amplifier that has no filtering.$4000 is a pretty good deal because my ICOM PW-1 sells for $5000 & I think it's worth every one of those dollars since all I do is turn it on & it does everything else for me no matter what band or mode I'm on.
RM Italy does make a fair priced multi-band amplifier. Automatic band selection and good filtering as well. Just don't hit them too hard with high drive or try to"Volt" the unit. Smoke will happen.
http://www.hyelectronics.com/HLA-300-W_-FANS/productinfo/HLA-300V/

Last edited:
RM Italy does make a fair priced multi-band amplifier. Automatic band selection and good filtering as well. Just don't hit them too hard with high drive or try to"Volt" the unit. smoke will happen.
http://www.hyelectronics.com/HLA-300-W_-FANS/productinfo/HLA-300V/

Look at the cost of the FCC Approved Amplifiers that RM Italy produces & add up what a 1 Kilowatt amplifier from them would cost if it had the filters so that it also had FCC approval & then add in the cost of it having an internal tuner,automatic band switching & a built in AC Power Supply & all of the protection circuits that other amplifiers in this class have.It would be quiet expensive & I doubt we will ever see such an amplifier from RM Italy because of those costs.

Look at the cost of the FCC Approved Amplifiers that RM Italy produces & add up what a 1 Kilowatt amplifier from them would cost if it had the filters so that it also had FCC approval & then add in the cost of it having an internal tuner,automatic band switching & a built in AC Power Supply & all of the protection circuits that other amplifiers in this class have.It would be quiet expensive & I doubt we will ever see such an amplifier from RM Italy because of those costs.
Right, this is a mobile unit as is the Texas Star units quoted in this thread. It does have filtering built to the amp. Where as the T.S. has none. I also doubt that the T.S. is FCC approved. It takes about 4 minutes with a soldering iron to get it into 11meterband.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I'll see your "to the contrary" and raise you..

the number "ACTRHLA305V" only means the paperwork has been submitted to the FCC by a third party laboratory.
(MET Laboratories, Inc.
914 W. Patapsco Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21230-3432)

in fact, if you research the actual number on the FCC site you will find this info:

Applications are submitted for FCC ID and Grant requests.

FCC IDENTIFIER: 2ACTRHLA305V
Name of Grantee: RM COSTRUZIONI ELETTRONICHE Snc di Marchioni Davide e Daniele
Equipment Class: Amplifier
Notes: HF power amplifier
Grant Notes FCC Rule Parts Frequency
Range (MHZ) Output
Watts Frequency
Tolerance Emission
Designator
97 1.8 - 30.0 263.0 Amp F3E

Power listed is conducted. Emissions per 97.305 Amateur Service only

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice the F3E designator, if you follow the link you provided
( http://www.ab4oj.com/amps/hla305v_notes.pdf) and actually read the test info, you will see that all the "tests" were conducted in the RTTY and CW modes @ 200 watts output.

Now tell me the amp is actually Certificated for J3E, A3E, A1A, F1B, ect

Last edited:
If those amps can be used on FM and CW, they are probably Class C. Most of those good buddy amps are class C, which are worthless on SSB.

Best tossed in the dumpster.

Reactions: Road Squawker
I'll see your "to the contrary" and raise you..

the number "ACTRHLA305V" only means the paperwork has been submitted to the FCC by a third party laboratory.
(MET Laboratories, Inc.
914 W. Patapsco Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21230-3432)

in fact, if you research the actual number on the FCC site you will find this info:

Applications are submitted for FCC ID and Grant requests.

FCC IDENTIFIER: 2ACTRHLA305V
Name of Grantee: RM COSTRUZIONI ELETTRONICHE Snc di Marchioni Davide e Daniele
Equipment Class: Amplifier
Notes: HF power amplifier
Grant Notes FCC Rule Parts Frequency
Range (MHZ) Output
Watts Frequency
Tolerance Emission
Designator
97 1.8 - 30.0 263.0 Amp F3E

Power listed is conducted. Emissions per 97.305 Amateur Service only

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice the F3E designator, if you follow the link you provided
( http://www.ab4oj.com/amps/hla305v_notes.pdf) and actually read the test info, you will see that all the "tests" were conducted in the RTTY and CW modes @ 200 watts output.

Now tell me the amp is actually Certificated for J3E, A3E, A1A, F1B, ect

100% correct. There was a discussion on another forum some time ago and the same info came out. The info was submitted to the FCC and RM used that FCC ID number to claim that the amps were certified thus convincing a lot of less knowledgeable people that the amps were indeed FCC approved. Not so. They are NOT approved yet and likely never will be as they exist at this time.

9 years later...I use a Texas star dx500v driven by a Texas star vmod driven by my ft817 on 40m and 20m. I use a tuner between the radio and amps. Works great. I haven't gotten any bandwidth complaints. If I do I will stop. I haven't hooked up to a specan yet to see the spurious emissions. Love me hate me.

No sense in arguing with you.....but what you can do for free is monitor yourself with a web sdr to see how wide your signal is.

Find one that you can put a +10 or +20 signal on. Only the most awful imd will show up at low signal levels. If you run a poor antenna and are always down in the static no one will notice your dirty signal.

I doubt you have any spurious emission issues but with those amps you probably have an IMD problem.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Try looking for those harmonic's spikes that do not exist and you'll find the real need for those expensive filters to be null and void.
Screenshot_20191106-133050_eBay.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I was more concerned with IMD. Even some bonafide ham gear splatters too much if the operator is a dunce. How about a 2 tone test at a 20kc span?

You can look at the export model spec chart on the TX star website and see the power output at 4 watts and 20 watts input. How many of them have linear gain? The 667 is obviously being driven into gain compression by the data on the chart.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.