• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star mod-v help

Burntrubber

Feb 15, 2006
Alabama
Hello all. I picked one of these up well worth the money. And it has some problems. First off it didn't work when I recieved it. Got to looking and the little three legged transistor came undone, I resoidered it back and the little thing keyed up fine. The recieve amp in it does not work. I put the cover on it and set it aside for a couple days. got it back down and was going to play around alittle on the air with it and it wouldn't key again. I had to drill the holes for the cover as this think wasn't taken care of. and found out after I took the cover off that when I drilled the hole out I a piece of the heat sink was touching the bottom of the board. So I took the heat sink off and fixed that.I only scraped the soider on the bottom of the board. I touched it up so it wouldn't touch the heatsink again. Hooked the amp up and it still will not key. Was wondering could I have shorted this out and the 2290 be bad?

Also, I have noticed that with it hooked to the power supply and the amp off, (power supply on and amp off) that the 2290 gets hot.So question here is If the 2290 is bad,Could it be shorted?

Can someone help me with this and maybe gwhat to try to get the recieve to working again. Everything looks good in the amp, Nothing burnt. I get I high swr when the amp is on like this to. But with the amp in line and off it is fine.

Thanks for the help.

Burntrubber said:
Hello all. I picked one of these up well worth the money. And it has some problems. First off it didn't work when I recieved it. Got to looking and the little three legged transistor came undone, I resoidered it back and the little thing keyed up fine.

You probably resoldered the keying transistor.

Burntrubber said:
The recieve amp in it does not work. I put the cover on it and set it aside for a couple days. got it back down and was going to play around alittle on the air with it and it wouldn't key again. I had to drill the holes for the cover as this think wasn't taken care of. and found out after I took the cover off that when I drilled the hole out I a piece of the heat sink was touching the bottom of the board. So I took the heat sink off and fixed that.I only scraped the soider on the bottom of the board. I touched it up so it wouldn't touch the heatsink again. Hooked the amp up and it still will not key. Was wondering could I have shorted this out and the 2290 be bad?

Doubtful. It sounds like you either shorted out the 13.8 line, or you might have shorted out one of the traces in the keying circuit area. Do any of the lights on the front still light?

Burntrubber said:
Also, I have noticed that with it hooked to the power supply and the amp off, (power supply on and amp off) that the 2290 gets hot.So question here is If the 2290 is bad,Could it be shorted?

If it's shorted, you'll get it blowing fuses. If it's leaking, you will get something like you see now.

I've seen people in the past take the negative feedback cap's and replace them with diodes (germaniums, usually... They don't understand what a vacuum cap is, I guess... They don't put that in the mod-books)... This can put the transistor into conduction as your seeing, and cause the problem your seeing of no output.

Burntrubber said:
Can someone help me with this and maybe gwhat to try to get the recieve to working again. Everything looks good in the amp, Nothing burnt. I get I high swr when the amp is on like this to. But with the amp in line and off it is fine.

Could be any number of things... Does the SWR change as you move the variable? If not, then the problem is on the input side. If it does, and the thing is getting hot, could be shorted on the output side.

You need a current meter and wattmeter. 2 watts of carrier is enough to drive that amp (and is pretty much the correct input.. 2 to 2.5 carrier). See if it's pulling current..

Burntrubber said:
Thanks for the help.

np.

--Toll_Free

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.