• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

texas star vs. TNT/MagnaForce ????

B

BOOTY MONSTER

i dont need another amp , just interested in what others think is a better amp .

TNT/magnas are said to be class B biased and the TStars are said to be class AB . ive seen folks on forums dispute their actual bias or at least their application/cicruit for their biasing .

in your opinion is one better than the other ?
does either have a better or more electronically correct bias circuit ?

Last edited by a moderator:

i dont need another amp , just interested in what others think is a better amp .

TNT/magnas are said to be class B biased and the TStars are said to be class AB . ive seen folks on forums dispute their actual bias or at least thero application/cicruit for their biasing .

in your opinion is one better than the other ?
does either have a better or more electronically correct bias circuit ?

Well, Construction and design wise, I give the nudge to the Texas Star. But neither of them use a regulated bias network. All of them slip into class C when they get hot due to components changing value and nothing was designed to track thermal changes.

99.9% of the folks on the receiving end would not hear any difference between these two amps. This whole Class-AB, AB1, B, C thing has really gotten out of hand over the years.

Same deal between using glass vs. transistor. People will swear that glass is cleaner, better, etc because that's what they've heard and read, but I've proven over and over again that to the receiving end on 11-meters the majority cannot hear any difference if the amp is properly constructed and installed.

The next thing that usually happens after I make a statement like this is someone will start talking about scopes and readings, etc. That's all well and good, but I'm referring to what the receiving folks hear, not what's shown on a scope.

Bottom line is, if you don't tell someone that you're using product-X vs. using product-Y, they are probably not going to notice a difference.

but I'm referring to what the receiving folks hear, not what's shown on a scope.
I have tried the same thing on ten meters....and there are guys that can hear the difference, i swapped out a boomer 400 one day for a al811h just for kicks, and made several contact`s.....more than one of those contacts on the other end asked what kind of amp i was running...i told them a home brew solid state, and again, several advised me to check the bias on the transistors, said it sounded like it was falling into class c.....
Maybe the average Joe on a crowded channel 38 can not tell the difference...but it can be heard regardless.
Class ab and class b are close, and depending on how good ( or should i say how well regulated) it is, true there is not much difference..but..a bad bias scheme is just as choppy as class c.
Texas star is "not bad" as long as you feed them well and do not push things.
Ask Jazz to describe the difference he hears on-the-air......he has a way with words (y)

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.