• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star with DEI 2879's

NightOwl3261

Jul 24, 2020
Seems as though and questioning dealers who are selling brand new TS amps that DEI are what's in them. How can that be as I thought DEI are long gone. Also if true how much better if at all are DEI
compared to HG?

Reactions: Tokin

It is a mystery where they get their parts from. The new Texas Star amps come with "Toshiba" transistors that are obviously fakes. That being said, they are reported to be better than the HG which is better than the DEI. So who knows, but apparently they have enough quantity in their ordering to be able to get something that works good enough to keep them in business.

Rumor from very reliable sources say the last lot of dei transistors were actually hg's with dei lids. I believe hg absorbed dei and killed them off.
With that said hg quality seems keep getting better. I have a neighbor whos been running hg's in his 1600dx everyday for a year now without an issue. Im going to stuff my dx1600 with c series and see what does.

Seems as though and questioning dealers who are selling brand new TS amps that DEI are what's in them. How can that be as I thought DEI are long gone. Also if true how much better if at all are DEI
compared to HG?

I would guess that Texas Star probably buys finals in lots of 5000-10,000. When the supply runs out they switch over to what ever they can get, this being HG finals at this point. I am sure some where in the USA there is a case or two of older NOS amplifiers with the older Toshiba finals. It happens.

I would guess that Texas Star probably buys finals in lots of 5000-10,000. When the supply runs out they switch over to what ever they can get, this being HG finals at this point. I am sure some where in the USA there is a case or two of older NOS amplifiers with the older Toshiba finals. It happens.

So how much better are DEI compared to HG and how much worse then Toshiba?

The "Toshibas" ts is using now are well known fakes that were available last year on Dhgate for $25-$50 depending on the seller and bulk purchase. I posted them on another site before i was a member here and unfortunately that site is no longer online.
The main problems i see with them are maching and replacents if you were to burn a pill or all of them. Folks will have to be a little more savvy when procuring amps with alleged Toshibas.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Rumor from very reliable sources say the last lot of dei transistors were actually hg's with dei lids. I believe hg absorbed dei and killed them off.
With that said hg quality seems keep getting better. I have a neighbor whos been running hg's in his 1600dx everyday for a year now without an issue. Im going to stuff my dx1600 with c series and see what does.

So if someone buys a current Texas Star that claims DEI they may be HG in disguise. Too bad that just burst my bubble. Anyone that has bought a current 500v that can share their experience and if they are DEI or fake DEI?

Last edited:
So how much better are DEI compared to HG and how much worse then Toshiba?
Depends on when the hg was made. Reports ive heard are dei are less reliable than hg, but that was a couple years ago. Since then hg has tweaked their designs and have gotten better and Dei is no more. From what i understand hg absorbed it and killed it off. The last dei run are said to be hg 2879's with dei lids. It appears ts bought a lot of that last run and used them up.
Just recently, as of last year i started seeing ts amps boasting toshiba transistors so i took a peak and i noticed they were the same lot code as the fakes i saw on dhgate and ebay then all of a sudden they disappeared. Now i know why.
I bought a fairly recent dx1600 with dei pills with one burnt. Im waiting for my tech to confirm if its actually an hg or a real dei pills.
So far no company has been able to duplicate the toughness of Toshibas and the only company i know of doing any serious r&d is hg.

So if someone buys a current Texas Star that claims DEI they may be HG in disguise. Too bad that just burst my bubble. Anyone that has bought a current 500v that can share their experience and if they are DEI or fake DEI?
Hg isnt a bad transistor today and seem to be getting better. You just cant beat them up like toshibas. Keep your swr 1.3 or lower, voltage under 15v, dont drive the piss out of them, fan kits to keep it cool and they work fine.
Yeah, since Toshibas dried up and other individuals and companies tried to fill that void some shady stuff has happened within that vacuum and continues to happen.
People have dissected the toshiba knockoffs ts is using and its said they are built very stout maybe more stout than dei or hg and like it was said earlier ts is using what they can get the best price on. Whats sad is they are passing them off as real.

Hell I am never gong to buy an amp that if SWR goes over 1.3 to 1 it goes poof. I would be scared to death every time I key the microphone. Hell in a mobile rain could cause a slight increase in SWR and bam my amp just went kaboom. No thanks!

Hell I am never gong to buy an amp that if SWR goes over 1.3 to 1 it goes poof. I would be scared to death every time I key the microphone. Hell in a mobile rain could cause a slight increase in SWR and bam my amp just went kaboom. No thanks!
Thats why if you do decide to buy a pill amp that you buy one you can get replacements for. With hg if you blow one you can contact them and get a matched pair or single unlike the fake Toshibas.
Fact is hg is the ONLY game in town at the moment and just as builders have had to adjust we will too.

I sent 7eighteenelectronics on ebay a message regarding this subject over a month ago to see what response id get. Hi asked what transistors were in their dx1600's from Texas Star. They are selling these units as real non red dot Toshibas. They stopped messaging after i told them the Toshiba j6 code transistors were fakes.
People are happy with them but still they really shouldn't sell a known fake as real.
Screenshot_20200814-170551.png

I sent 7eighteenelectronics on ebay a message regarding this subject over a month ago to see what response id get. Hi asked what transistors were in their dx1600's from Texas Star. They are selling these units as real non red dot Toshibas. They stopped messaging after i told them the Toshiba j6 code transistors were fakes.
People are happy with them but still they really shouldn't sell a known fake as real.
View attachment 39616
Interesting. I just had a 500V delivered from them this morning. Won't be home until tonight to check and see what kind of transistors are in there.

I would be very interested in the performance results with the C's ......
According to BBI, the caps tuning on the transformers need to be changed also, but to what values ?

I would be very interested in the performance results with the C's ......
According to BBI, the caps tuning on the transformers need to be changed also, but to what values ?
Yes there are some changes there that need to be from what im told. Being able to make 8 pill C series and bigger amps to work is fairly new. Until recent builders had problems with anything bigger than a 6 pill.
It may be a while before i see that amp again but when i do ill post up what its doing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated