• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thank you Super Cock. I mean Super Hawk

Looking at the pics, that thing is most likely a horror story inside. Rivets holding the top on mean the only way to open it is with a drill. Molex connector instead of the original style (Johnson?) plug, so all those wires are suspect without an inspection. Switch mounted where the ground lug used to be, probably for extended frequency coverage, but extended which way?

And that's without considering the fact that the case is bent and was most likely dropped or had something heavy dropped on it.

But the deal does include two microphones. What good they'll do you with a receiver I have no idea.

It's not a StuporHawk sale, but the price looks inspired by that guy.

I know of the yellow table cloth tales but that listing is not one of them. The hawks listings are very distinct always same story, all caps and one mile long run-on sentence.

No yellow cloth with cobra banner in that one either.

greedy sellers can ask anything they want. it's the dumb ass that buys it that that ruins it for everyone. thats why prices for cb radio stuff is so high now. because all these stupid idiots pay these high prices and all the other greedy sellers see this. and now everyone thinks its worth that much and prices the stuff accordingly. everything is rare, vintage, boutique and one of a kind nowadays. stupid people!

Rivets holding the top on mean the only way to open it is with a drill.
The remaining rivets serve only to fasten the perforated rear panel to the rear edges of the sheet-metal cover. The cover is held in place by four bronze #8-32 machine screws.

The molex socket was the original design boo-boo. Would overheat and fail. Big time. The Mark IV was developed as a 23-channel radio, but the development process kept running into design snags. Took forever to coax their zillion-chip PLL and electronic channel selector to actually work. Most of the time. Ever ask yourself why a CB transmitter would need a knob marked "Reset" on the front panel? By this time the FCC had announced no more 23-channel models would receive "type acceptance" approval for legal sale, only new 40-channel radios would be approved. This sent Browning back to the drawing board to adapt the radio to 40 channels. This proved to be a tortured process because the technical performance requirements were stiffened for 40 channel radios. A 23-channel CB had no specified limit on how much RF garbage it was allowed to spew in receive mode. 40-channel rules set a fairly low limit. Never mind what happens when you key the mike. Can't leak any more than it does on receive from the power cord, external speaker/PA cord, mike cord, headphone cord, etc. The redesigned Mark IV had more issues than National Geographic. By the time they redesigned it as the "IVA" they had a decent radio. But avoid the mark IV like monkey plague.

The Molex socket was upgraded to the larger "Jones" connector just before the change from "IV" to "IVA".

The remaining rivets serve only to fasten the perforated rear panel to the rear edges of the sheet-metal cover. The cover is held in place by four bronze #8-32 machine screws.

The molex socket was the original design boo-boo. Would overheat and fail. Big time. The Mark IV was developed as a 23-channel radio, but the development process kept running into design snags. Took forever to coax their zillion-chip PLL and electronic channel selector to actually work. Most of the time. Ever ask yourself why a CB transmitter would need a knob marked "Reset" on the front panel? By this time the FCC had announced no more 23-channel models would receive "type acceptance" approval for legal sale, only new 40-channel radios would be approved. This sent Browning back to the drawing board to adapt the radio to 40 channels. This proved to be a tortured process because the technical performance requirements were stiffened for 40 channel radios. A 23-channel CB had no specified limit on how much RF garbage it was allowed to spew in receive mode. 40-channel rules set a fairly low limit. Never mind what happens when you key the mike. Can't leak any more than it does on receive from the power cord, external speaker/PA cord, mike cord, headphone cord, etc. The redesigned Mark IV had more issues than National Geographic. By the time they redesigned it as the "IVA" they had a decent radio. But avoid the mark IV like monkey plague.

The Molex socket was upgraded to the larger "Jones" connector just before the change from "IV" to "IVA".

Well, I've been schooled on this one. Right down to the name of the plug. :)

I agree with you Nomad.... Thats why I sent him an Ebay message asking if he was going to take out the tubes so they didnt get broke during shipping and he said yes.... Then I asked about the transmitter.. I think he got more excited than Al Bundy at the Hooter Palace..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.