• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile That'll teach me for reading reviews. Wilson 1K magmnt

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
So a little under 3 months of usage and the Wilson 1000 magmount appears to have lost the plot. Fortunately I check my SWR levels often. Noticed SWR on this antenna was sky high after rainfall. I suppose its leaking in from where it screws down onto the magmount. Perhaps its not designed to be screwed on and off often?

How does one go about making a warrantly claim now? cheers.

Actually, these are decent antennas. With one caveat. They can leak water inside. Not true for every one of them; some do leak. Drain out the water and find the leak and seal it up with super-glue or gorilla glue. Usually the leak is around the top; but not always.

Still have my Wilson 1K mag mount and it is used on my brother's car over the past year and has no issues at all.
YMMV . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Actually, these are decent antennas. With one caveat. They can leak water inside. Not true for every one of them; some do leak. Drain out the water and find the leak and seal it up with super-glue. Usually the leak is around the top; but not always.

Still have my Wilson 1K mag mount and it is used on my brother's car Over the past year and has no issues at all.
YMMV . . .

Yeah you right Rob, I noticed the water on the threads when I unscrewed the antenna.
If I glue or caulk it then I suppose I wont be able to unscrew it for removing it again, isnt this supposed to be a feature of this model?

No; you got it wrong! Stop!

The leak might be at the base of the coil, so use a magnifying glass and find that leak. Don't just blindly glue the whole thing and ruin it.

Bruv, what you talking about matey? All I did was unscrew the antenna wipe the magmount threads and SWR went back to normal levels.

This item cannot be trusted.

This is why I've held on to my 15-20 year old Wilson 5k and 1k coils. The wilson printed on the coils have rubbed off but still work great. I've replaced the whips through the years. They take a beating on top the 4x4. I don't think the barjan owned Wilsons have the same qc or manufacturering process as the old ones. It's a shame to hear these kinda stories but you're not the first to tell this tale. I have retired them for the time being in favor of the sirio p5k...

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
You should buy this before it's gone.
http://m.ebay.it/itm/AVANTI-AV-241M-MOONRAKER-MOBILE-ANTENNA-RADIO-TRADER-IRELAND-/322490477443
$_3.JPG

$_3.JPG

$_1.JPG

Interesting, getting the run around now from Wilson tech support. Soon as they heard the word "Amazon" they immediately were kind enough to copy and paste Amazon's customer services details in their response email back to me.

It was purchased through a third party at Amazon, which they still claim i go through Amazon for warranty work. Fucking comical how they wash their hands of any accountability like that on an item less than 3 months old?

Now if the mong at Wilson merely said, "Sir, you're SOL because you didn't purchase via authorized seller..." That might be something. Weak, but still something.

Edit: within mins of replying back to Wilson (roadpro?) And asking them if they had read my attached invoice showing it was a third-party seller purchase , I received a copy and paste on return process to their facility, but no return authorization number.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.