• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The aurora borealis will be visible

BJ radionut

Supporting Member and 6m addict
May 9, 2008
35 miles East of Indianapolis
The northern lights will be visible as far south as Wisconsin and Michigan over Labor Day weekend

August 28, 2019 @ 10:20 UTC
Larger Coronal Hole to Face Earth

The next coronal hole in line will begin to face Earth during the next few days. This "T" shaped hole in the suns atmosphere should be the source of a high-speed solar wind stream past Earth beginning this upcoming weekend. Perhaps some good news for high latitude aurora sky watchers. The image below by SDO/AIA.

August 29, 2019 @ 20:55 UTC
Geomagnetic Storm Watch (UPDATED)

An upgrade to the Moderate (G2) geomagnetic storm watch threshold was just released by the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC). The increased activity is expected to begin on Saturday (Aug 31) and would be the result of an expected coronal hole stream past Earth. More to follow this weekend.

aug28_2019_ch.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...-labor-day-weekend/ar-AAGwvOF?ocid=spartandhp

INFO Courtesy of SOLARHAM.com

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Space Weather Message Code: WATA30
Serial Number: 180
Issue Time: 2019 Aug 29, 1947, UTC

WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G2 Predicted
Highest Storm Level Predicted by Day:
Aug 30: None (Below G1) Aug 31: G1 (Minor) Sep 01: G2 (Moderate)
THIS SUPERSEDES ANY/ALL PRIOR WATCHES IN EFFECT
www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation
Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 55 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Power grid fluctuations can occur. High-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms.
Spacecraft - Satellite orientation irregularities may occur; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites is possible.
Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes.
Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

Well I might be able to see them this time even if I can't work any aurora on 6m/2m. I am exactly at 45 degrees north, the same as Wisconsin and Michigan and I am off until Monday so perhaps I can catch them. Only seen them a couple times as it is either too overcast or I am working or it was so brief I missed it before knowing it even happened.

August 31, 2019 @ 12:10 UTC
Moderate Geomagnetic Storm in Progress (UPDATED)
UPDATE:
The moderate (G2) storm threshold was reached at 14:20 UTC.
As expected, a solar wind stream flowing from a large Earth-facing coronal hole is now moving past Earth. Minor (G1) geomagnetic storming is being observed at higher latitudes. A watch for moderate (G2) storming will remain in effect for the next 24 hours. Aurora sky watchers should remain alert should local weather and light conditions allow.

aug31_2019_oval.jpg

Issue Time: 2019 Aug 31 1559 UTC

ALERT: Electron 2MeV Integral Flux exceeded 1000pfu
Threshold Reached: 2019 Aug 31 1540 UTC

Station: GOES14
Potential Impacts: Satellite systems may experience significant charging resulting in increased risk to satellite systems.

Issue Time: 2019 Aug 31 1421 UTC

ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 6
Threshold Reached: 2019 Aug 31 1420 UTC

Synoptic Period: 1200-1500 UTC
Active Warning: Yes
NOAA Scale: G2 - Moderate
Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 55 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Power grid fluctuations can occur. High-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms.
Spacecraft - Satellite orientation irregularities may occur; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites is possible.
Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes.
Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

Might take a little drive later tonight and see if they are visible here. Where I live I do not have a good sight line to the horizon but it is great about two minutes from the house.

Not looking good. Was just over on spaceweather.com and it looks like a no-show at mid-latitudes tonight. :( Oh well.....might take a look tonight anyway. Just coming out of a new moon and we are only at 3.7% visible moon so it should be really dark outside of town here.

Last night was a bust here. LOTS of stars however as it was a perfectly clear night with no moon but also no aurora. :( I remember one late fall night back around 1988 when my wife and I had just met there was an INCREDIBLE show, the likes of which have never been seen here since. The sky was green with traces of red and lasted for close to two hours before fading out.

Reactions: Rwb
Storming Continues / New Sunspot
Finally a little bit of excitement during the past 24 hours when it comes to space weather.
Geomagnetic storm conditions persist on Sunday as the coronal hole stream continues to move past Earth above 600 km/s. Visible aurora was reported across many locations from the northern tier of the lower USA, Canada, and Alaska.

In other news, a small spotted region formed at the middle latitude and was assigned AR 2748.
This is the first sunspot to appear in almost a month.
The chances for noteworthy solar flares should remain very low.

A gradual return to quieter conditions should be expected within the next 48 hours.
Stay tuned to SolarHam.com for the most up to date space weather information

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.