• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Baofeng UV-5R: Better than you thought . . .

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Seems that someone called out all of the misinformation on the spectral purity of this little cheap yet effective HT radio.

Of course, the only real way to do that is to put this radio to the acid test with a spectrum analyzer and see what it does.

Seems that someone finally did this; it passed just fine.
Read the article:

http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/review-baofeng-uv-5r-part-i/
Review Baofeng UV-5R (Part II) « Ham Radio Blog PD0AC

145-high.jpg

435-high.jpg

Last edited:

Good deal.

I really like mine. I've had mine longer than any other HT I have ever owned and I have owned many many various handhelds. For some reason, I really like this one.

Last edited:
If you own one of these radios and used it for some time, perhaps my experience is the same as yours. While on a repeater someone might have asked you 'Hey; what radio are you using?' You tell them it is a Baofeng. They say something like 'that radio isn't legal to use, as it is known not to have a clean output'.

Funny that no one has proved this to be so. They all seem to say that 'X' said so. Mind you; no proof. Just innuendo. Think that some just cannot stand the idea that their $400 HT has been shown up with another HT at a fraction of the price. If I paid $400 for a Kenwood HT and a Baofeng that cost $55 comes along that sounds just as well, I would feel gypped. I'll bet you would too.

SO, the next time someone on a repeater says to you that your Baofeng you have there is no good because 'X' said so, then give them this link to the Spectrum Analyzer result here. That way, they can tell 'X' the next time he says something about it.

Or just tell them that it is a Kenwood.
Either way, they cannot tell the difference . . .

Last edited:
There was an issue with the early Baofeng UV-3r where they had either a spur or harmonic (can't remember which) that wasn't attenuated as much as is should have been. A lot of people assume that all of these radios have the same issue. In reality, with the stock antenna on the UV-3r, the spur probably couldn't have been detected more than a few hundred feet away, so it wasn't that big of an "issue", lol.

Reactions: 1 person
I have one of the UV-5R + and I'm in the market for a second one and I'm seeing adverts for a UV-5RE. Does anyone know what the difference is?

I have one of the UV-5R + and I'm in the market for a second one and I'm seeing adverts for a UV-5RE. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Well honestly not much, the RE claims 5 watts output, while the original only claims 4 watts output... Also I have found that the RE needs updated software to be programmed, but both program fine with CHIRP

I am told that the UV5R battery will not fit in the RE... not sure if this is true

The Mrs got me a UV-5R for Christmas. Had minor annoying issues with software and cable. There's a SHOCK, I know! I really like it. Works just fine on narrow band too :p

I have gotten use to most of the programming functions of the radio & software...But can anybody tell me if the busy channel scan hold / delay can be changed? I get tired of it resuming scan after a few seconds while still rx-ing. Am I over looking it or is it not modifiable?

I have had my uv-5ra for a few weeks now, so far I am very impressed with it. I have had radios from the "big 3" and this is the first talkie that I can use my local radio club's 440 machine from my basement with the stock antenna, havent been able to try it on 2 meters yet since the club's 2 meter machine is broken.

as i have had my Baofeng uv5-ra for almost a month now and use it every day thought i would update my thoughts on it. When i first ordered it i was quite leary of it since it was not a brand i ever heard of and well it is made in china, we all remember the chinese dog food issues. when it arrived, and i took it out of the box, I was suprised to see how well it was packaged and the fact that it came with an extra battery. it was a little bit of a bear to program from the keypad but once i figured it out it really isnt too bad. I have found that i can access my local 440 repeater from my basement almost full quieting which is a pleasent surprise since none of my other ht's could. battery life is awesome lasts 18-19 hours a day and still isnt showing low voltage. also i programmed a few repeaters that are about 30 miles from me, but i would use if i am in the area there and found that i can use them in my home area 30 miles away with the stock antenna and have decent signal reports. so since i have had it about a month, i am very impressed with it and would recommend it to just about anyone looking for a quality ht without the "name brand" price tag

I own the UV 5R and have had it since before Christmas of 2012 and I really like it. I had not heard about these Chinese radios, and I was not active on the VHF /UHF bands for almost 10 years then I decided to get back into it and pulled my old gear out of the closet and decided I needed to upgrade because my 20 year old Yaesu HT wouldn't work the buttons were stuck and the batteries would not charge up. So I looked online for HT's and I came across a page that advertised the Baofeng dual band HT for $50, and I thought this has to be a joke, or this radio is one of those oddball Chinese FM handie talkies I've seen that simply run on simplex frequency's. A closer look led me to a Ebay page and I read the description and still couldn't believe it for the price so I called a ham friend and asked if he knew of these radios and he told me they were legit and a lot of guys were buying them. Well anyhow I bought one, and boy was I surprised at the performance and battery life.

I still can't believe you can buy one on Ebay for $46.20 with free shipping, it comes complete with a charging cradle, battery, antenna, cables etc etc... the whole ball of wax for $46.20... I'm really tempted to pick up a couple more of them and just toss em in the drawer and keep the batteries as spares. These little HT's are amazing for the price. I can access repeaters that I couldn't get into with my Yaesu dual band HT that I paid $469 for almost 20 years ago. This Baofeng sounds and works as well if not better than my old Yaesu, but in fairness I have to give the Yaesu a 10 for build quality it was built like a tank and weighs about 2 lbs with the battery on it...

I bought a couple of them and 2 extra battery packs all for $125. shipped. Originally got them for our bug-out packs and programmed a ton of different freqs in them (all by hand, couldn't figure out the software) :glare: ... but found myself using them every day. Keep one at my shop and one in my vehicle.

After several months of using them, I'm really impressed with them. The battery packs last a lot longer than my THF6 battery packs, and they keep on working even after dropping both of them several times (y)

I see in the posts that some fellas are having great results with the stock antenna. I am curious if anyone has tried other antennas, and what were the results? Also, have any of you guys picked up the speaker/mic and tried it?

RT307

I have a UV 5R and works a treat. Loaded the drivers for the USB programming cable and then the software for the radio and worked first time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.