• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Baofeng UV-5R: Better than you thought . . .

So how would you compare this antenna to the Nogoya na-771 that everyone seems to be raving about?

I also wonder how it would compare to the commet, and diamond versions of antennas for the Boafeng?

I've used telescopic antennas, but found them to be cumbersome, delicate and unwieldy. I would only use one if I was in a fringe area. I've owned and tried just about every HT antenna there is/was on the market, except for the flood of Chicom crap.

I'm only interested in single or dual band HT's, so the Comet 24 and the Diamond RH77CA are the only ones I even consider using. The Comet 24 series is a great performer.

Reactions: 1 person
intreagueing.

How heavy is it? The sma connector is only held in by two screws that are a little bigger than eyeglass screws and the metal backing plate (heatsink)appears to be a potmetel (cast zinc) I would think over time it would work the threaded holes smooth allowing the sma connector to come loose.

Perhaps it would be best used while the ht is stationary?

How solid does it seem when you are walking around with it?

intreagueing.

How heavy is it? The sma connector is only held in by two screws that are a little bigger than eyeglass screws and the metal backing plate (heatsink)appears to be a potmetel (cast zinc) I would think over time it would work the threaded holes smooth allowing the sma connector to come loose.

Perhaps it would be best used while the ht is stationary?

How solid does it seem when you are walking around with it?
It's not heavy but it is heavier then a 771 and like. Yes it can loosen the SMA connector so you have to watch that.

Walking around is fine it's just long.

Perhaps removing the screws and applying some locktite may be in order as a cheap inusrence policy.

Maybe I will try one in the future. Thanks for the info.

73's

My reason for liking the UV-5r is its a $50 HT! When I press the PTT the person on the other end hears me, it brings up repeaters and it just works. Yes it has issues, lots of them, but I can clearly over look them because of the cost. Yes I had problems getting it to sync on the PC at first but the fact is I run Linux so I should have problem. Those were worked out and now it syncs easily every time. Does the display fade when the HT gets warm from transmitting long, yes it does but it never fades enough that I can't see it. Is it hard to get it to scan, yes it is but fiddle with it and it will start.

Surely I can buy an ICOM, Kenwood or Yaesu that will "work" better but in the end when I push the PTT and the other person hears me it makes no difference what I am using. Batteries are cheap, add on's are cheap and if it dies I will just buy another one and still spend less then I would if I bought one of the big three.

So far I have had my 5R for two years, it's still going strong and working like it should. It has all the "issues" it always had and I still use it everyday. Even has a 52 mile simplex contact with it using the rubber duck, got to love conditions!(y)

My reason for liking the UV-5r is its a $50 HT! When I press the PTT the person on the other end hears me, it brings up repeaters and it just works. Yes it has issues, lots of them, but I can clearly over look them because of the cost. Yes I had problems getting it to sync on the PC at first but the fact is I run Linux so I should have problem. Those were worked out and now it syncs easily every time. Does the display fade when the HT gets warm from transmitting long, yes it does but it never fades enough that I can't see it. Is it hard to get it to scan, yes it is but fiddle with it and it will start.

Surely I can buy an ICOM, Kenwood or Yaesu that will "work" better but in the end when I push the PTT and the other person hears me it makes no difference what I am using. Batteries are cheap, add on's are cheap and if it dies I will just buy another one and still spend less then I would if I bought one of the big three.

So far I have had my 5R for two years, it's still going strong and working like it should. It has all the "issues" it always had and I still use it everyday. Even has a 52 mile simplex contact with it using the rubber duck, got to love conditions!(y)

I agree. You could have almost four of them with all the trimmings for the cost of one of the big name HT's. I find allot of anomosity out there over these. I guess it stems from feeling "ripped off" for paying alomost 4 bills for a big name Ht. The other thing I hear allot of is them being called "chinese radios", to which I reply " where do you think the big three's are made?":headbang.

I can see that if they continue to improve their quality and keep the price low it may start to force the big three to lower their prices to stay competitive.

In my experence with the one I have it does really benifit from doing an audio modification to improve the mic gain issue. Having done this one and using it side by side with my Kenwood and I am being told that there is very little difference. There is allot of room for improvement with these and it is withing the scope of someone with excellent soldering skills to accomplish.

I am assuming you are refering to the uv-5re plus. They are very nice. I did the extended battery mod a couple days ago and it fits good. I seen the video where he enlarged the hole for the mic element. This will only have a minimal effect. These radios have a mic gain issue and needs to be modified to acheave the correct deviation. I did this as well and it really made a big difference. Now the audio is right up there along with my Kenwood. i am really happy with it.

I looked over the spec's on that Smiley antenna and it seems that they are similar the commet SMA-24J and the Diamond SRJ77CA. So what about it makes you feel that it is superior to those?

Got my Plus version today. You have to French kiss the mic, to get acceptable transmit audio. Other than that, it's okay.

Might do the mod, might not.

My old UV5R, has potent audio in comparison.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.