• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The beginning of a long, slow process

roadrage

I had another thread, stating that my radio wasn't performing how I'd like. I have started a long process of going through my whole system, one thing at a time. I removed my mag mount 2M antenna as a start. My Wilson 1K was seeing the other one and it didn't like it much. So I removed the second antenna and re-tuned the first.

My R's still werent as good as I wanted them to be,my external meter was showing 1.5 on ch 1 and 40. So I was motivated by Bandit35's thread on his Wilson 5K rebuild. I couldn't get the casing for the loading coil off (meaning I was getting worried I was going to break it). So I removed the magnet and the base cover. I unbolted the coil mount from the magnet and wire brushed all the connection points, then re-assembled. I removed the stinger and also the mast. I cleaned all the connection points there as well, then re-assembled and tuned. My external meter was reading about 1.25/1.3 which is better.

So my big radio (Galaxy 95t2) is bolted to a plastic dash board with a jumper wire from the chassis to the cab. It was alarming to watch my radio as I drove over bumps so I got myself a heavy duty 9" bracket. It took a couple weeks to get here, but it arrived yesterday. I spent my lunch break cutting my carpet, drilling holes, and mounting my new bracket to the floor. I kept the factory bracket in place on the lower dash to connect to the top of the new 9" bracket for a little extra stability. Being bolted to the floor of the cab also gave the radio chassis a good ground (negative cable of power cord connected straight to the bat.). It caused me to have to retune my antenna again. My external meter is now showing about 1.1/1.15. Even the internal meter on the radio is now a hair under 1.4, which in the beginning the internal meter was over 1.7 and progressivly got better. Also, I drove down some pretty bumpy roads last night and that radio is now solidly in place. I'm very happy with that mount.

But I am not done yet. I decided to not rely on factory bonding so I got my first grounding strap from the parts store. Sadly I am going to have to go a little at a time. I figured about $2-$3 each, wasn't I wrong. It was almost $7 for the 8" strap. But I installed the strap from the DS center of cab to frame. Next will be the PS center to frame, and so on. I have a lot of 12 straps in my watch list on ebay. My wife says I can buy it when I get paid in a few days. I also should have a permenant roof mount for the Wilson in a couple weeks (thanks binrat) along with some other items. Hopefully when I'm done, I will get my numbers out there a little better.

$7 for an 8 inch strap? :blink: An old piece of RG-8 coaxial braid with a hole in each end is a lot cheaper and just as good. Could even get fancy and solder ground lug connectors on the ends and still save $5 apiece.

If you do not want to make your own, you can get this for $4 bucks a foot already made up.

Ground Strap from High Sierra - Cables Ready to Go--Coax--DC--HDMI--Grounding--CAT5 - Grounding Wires - Ground Strap from High Sierra - NewHamStore.com

the ground strap comes with a black vinyl coating. You MUST remove the coating at the eyelet shown in the picture. You simply strip away the exterior coating at the eyelet to expose the conductive part of the ground strap at the eyelet.
Jeff

$7 for an 8 inch strap? :blink: An old piece of RG-8 coaxial braid with a hole in each end is a lot cheaper and just as good. Could even get fancy and solder ground lug connectors on the ends and still save $5 apiece.

I have to agree with Capt KW here, its pricey.
RR, don't buy any, I'll strip some coax for you and send it in your care package.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.