• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Best CB Mod

Hak-it

Dec 4, 2011
Is there a best CB power mod. I know everyone has their own ideas about this, but I would really like to find out what the best way is to boost the wattage in my Uniden PC78ELITE and my Cobra 29LTD.

I drive truck in the log woods, and during daylight hours it's impossible to talk to the other drivers at the distance we need to be able to talk. We need to be able to talk at least 5 miles even in the worst of radio conditions. I've been working with everyone to get our swr's squared away and it has helped, but it's not enough. It would be great if we could all start using side band but most of the guys don't have side band, and can't afford to buy new radios.

The reason this is such an issue for us in the woods is that if we can't communicate we meet at the wrong time, and the empty truck *must* get off the road for the loaded truck. This has caused heavy damage to many of our trucks and is potentially quite dangerous.

So anyway I've been doing some research to try and find a good way to mod my radios and maybe also my coworkers. I've even tried one and at this point it seems to have damaged the radio. Here's the mod I did: CB Tips and Tricks I'm not crying here, this has been a lot of fun and I'll keep trying different things til I get it right. But is there a really good way of doing this the right way? Is the RFX75 a good way to go? (If you don't know what the RFX75 is check out this link: Powerband RFX75 ) Or should I be upgrading other parts when I do the original mod?

Any ideas would be appreciated here. I want to learn to do this myself, and am experimenting with my own radios.

I think it would be really great if all the other drivers would get their HAM ticket, but that's just not practical. If I could just get a couple other guys to go along, it would be a big help out there, but there has to be the interest and unfortunately there just isn't, I've tried it. But even then I don't think most of the guys would be able to shell out the money for radios.

I've thought of that mrgumpy, can a guy just get a small amp say 25 to 50 watts for a good price? What would be the best place to start looking?

Well if UHF is out of the ? then SSB is the next best thing which will give you much more distance than cb but you're still limited to terrain ie trees and hills.

Hey hammer how many miles can you talk on the KL-35 as apposed to the KL-203 during daylight hours in noisy conditions?

Thank you all for the comments, I still wish the solution had something to do with me hackin' a board, but I need what works at this point, so it's all good. That's a really good price for the KL-203 and I think I'm going to use Christmas money or something to get one and try it out.

I don't know if getting some KL amps are going to work out for you exactly as you plan. These particular amps need a very low AM carrier from the radio or else they could burn up - or distort a bunch at the very least. You will have to get the AM carrier in your Cobra turned down to about 1 watt and no more that 6 watts peak output. A shop can do that for you; but that will takes some time and a little cash to do it right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.