• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

the better transceiver

I'm not sure on the Icom, but I can speak from experience with the TS-440.. I own the SAT model and it's still the backbone of my ham shack.

I've had to perform one repair on it, an electrolytic capacitor in the audio chain began failing and eventually shorted to ground taking the volume with it... replaced the cap and everything's been fine since.

I have seen people mention the dot syndrome, but knock on wood mine has never had that issue.

good choice and the 430 is no slouch either and if you can find one with a built in antenna tuner which are the (AT) models will be a +.

I can not vouch for the Icom, I have the 440sat here at the shack, and yes there is some times dot syndrome. well documented on what causes it and also how to repair it. Pretty simple repair.

The 440 has a decent receive, side by side comparisons it has a more sensitive receive than my FT-890. Good quality audio transmit and matched up to the matching ps it is pleasant on the eye.

The notch filter seems to do very little but no big deal unless there is some really heavy splatter from an adjacent frequency.

Great general coverage receiver from 50 hz ( I think) up to 30 mhz.

Teamed with the mc 60 mic gets unsolicited audio compliments. Just a good old work horse with not so many bells and whistles. The AT model will tune an chain link fence.

Ahh the 520, friend of mine uses one. I have the 820 in the shack. would like to try the 830 goldline if I can find one for the right price.

Kenwood sure hit the nail on the head with that hybrid series of rigs.

Great receive, almost as good as my FT-102, almost.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.