• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Chinese are getting into the re-capping game

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
No big surprise here, except that who knew the chinese were paying attention to the CB radio restoration crowd LOL.

I'm not sure how long this company has been selling these kits, and i could be very late to the game, but i thought it was post worthy anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-138-...558034?hash=item3d26c6a692:g:LboAAOSwvzRX16iQ

This one is for the 858 SSB chassis, but there are others.

I would not trust them personally, but for no other reason than it looks like they are using cheap knock off caps, and it would take a month to get them.

I have no idea if they are upgrading certain caps or just going by the parts lists.

If they are paying attention to us, it's time to start clamoring for some new cool-guy CB gadgets on the cheap!
LC

I have also noticed they are trying to sell speakers and a few other items from China and they are raising the price up to about where it is for a US price.
they do not get it from a stand point for a US buyer. I know I will not pay the higher price for a item that will take from 4 to 6 weeks to get the item from them. I will pay more to get the item in 3 or 4 days compared to the china time to get an item.
I know the China items I can buy several of their items for about the US price for 1 item. it is just the time mit takes to get items from China. I know they are just looking at making more money and not thinking about the time frame to get the item from them.

That seller has been in the game for awhile. Cheaper prices. Free Shipping. What could go wrong? His packages are listing 16v capacitors. Brand names from a Chinese seller? I wouldn't gamble my money on a purchase but apparently many do.

My last shipment from China took 84 days to arrive. Seems to be the norm the last few years. My last shipment to a USA buyer was 7 days. USPS seems to be be doing pretty good. No risks taken and guaranteed quality product upon arrival. That's all I've got to offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142009543714

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=388

well worth reading
Most of this doesn't affect us until late 2000
A bit later for major computer motherboard manufacture
and still a bit later for Alinco, TYT , BTech, and the rest of the Bamboo and Sushi offerings.
Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom miraculously escaped for the most part because they own the major portion of their discrete parts supply lines.

As for age alone there is no hard and fast diagnostic rule for how long or how old a cap has to be in order to predictably fail. A good indication is the obvious leakage, the not so obvious (ESR) leakage, DC shorts accompanied by BJT failures, and BANG!....

So from this bench that is no longer a business in any form, and largely just a hobby, I have this general outlook on capacitor replacement.

One cap failure does not indicate a complete re-cap.
Two? Yeah, good enough, shotgun replacement.

HV Power supply filter caps. If it's legacy, hybrid, 1kv sweep, multi-kv glass or ceramic, shows the least sign of physical or electrical leakage, not currently available in any catalog, or additionally just looks wrong...
it gets replaced.

Aside from electrolytics , ceramic disc caps also fail. That is a whole new conversation .

It's not the time frame alone that is the issue.

the main reason to be wary of the chinese electrolytics is because of dubious quality, and questionable age.

Does anyone here really put it past some Chinese warehouse to try and dump a bunch of 10+ year old electrolytics on us?

Why throw them away!

I buy all name brand caps from parts houses that have huge turnarounds, and i can vouch that Klondike Mike does the same (unpaid advertisement! LOL)

the only reasons i can see for someone to choose a chinese seller for electronic parts are if they are not available in the US, or if the same part can be had for 20% of what it costs here.

Make no mistake, my intention with this thread is not to show people that there is a new source for caps, it's to warn people away from buying them.
LC

My purchases were mostly some sma cables and various connectors and some panel meters. I got a 50 amp meter with shunt and a 50 volt meter for $22 delivered versus nearly $60 for the ammeter and shunt nevermind the voltmeter.

And my crystal tester from China is defective. $6 shipped through Amazon so hopefully they send me a good one or refund it. I don't think I would order electrolytic caps from China though. I glanced at Mike's eBay store for a kit to recap my grant LT. I didn't see one but I didn't search too long. I'm guessing it would be the same as a 148 kit?

And my crystal tester from China is defective. $6 shipped through Amazon so hopefully they send me a good one or refund it. I don't think I would order electrolytic caps from China though. I glanced at Mike's eBay store for a kit to recap my grant LT. I didn't see one but I didn't search too long. I'm guessing it would be the same as a 148 kit?
Depending on vintage (location of manufacture), the caps would be the same. The part numbers would be different.

Mine was a small diy kit. Solder it up and add a power source. Doubles as a freq counter. It turned out that I had 3 dead 9 volt batteries. It does work. I'd rather have yours but I'll work with what I've got.
They pop up every once in a while on evil bay. Mine was a gift that I use more than I thought I would. I fixed a couple since. It's really good for a once over to see if you have a dud or just a misaligned mess.

Reactions: 309hellinois

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.