• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The "D104 Man"

moviking

Nov 24, 2011
Table Rock Lake, Branson mo area
A friend of mine (with way to much time on his hands) is playing around with D-104's & led's (and other mods inside it to come)

This is the first trial version (looks MUCH better in real life, kind of a floating effect)

Can use batt or ext power, on air reports no difference in tx quality (high end led's used)

All wires are inside, still only three pins in the standard neck to head connection.

And when he's done designing it, I get the first, er, second one.

Thats about all to I'm gonna say about it for now, just though ya'll might like to see it.

LED-104a.jpg

Wow Viking. That friend of yours must be some kind of genius. Brilliant to say the least. Definitely has artistic flare. I heard he was extremely good looking to boot! Almost god-like is the word going around.

Wow Viking. That friend of yours must be some kind of genius. Brilliant to say the least. Definitely has artistic flare. I heard he was extremely good looking to boot! Almost god-like is the word going around.

Hmm, hitting the rum again are we, well I guess you can handle any questions, praise/heat here for your creation. (y)

Got any more ideas what you're gonna call it ?

Last edited:
If he was really such a 'genius' he would only have it light up when keyed..

So,you should take that hand that you're patting your self on the back with and get back to the drawing board..That's if your head hasn't swelled past the point to get it over your over inflated head..

Another vote for NOT impressed..

P.S. Maybe you can do one that changes in to multiple rainbow colors like I'm sure you have on your S-meter on your radio..Seems like it would suit you well..

If he was really such a 'genius' he would only have it light up when keyed..

So,you should take that hand that you're patting your self on the back with and get back to the drawing board..That's if your head hasn't swelled past the point to get it over your over inflated head..

Another vote for NOT impressed..

P.S. Maybe you can do one that changes in to multiple rainbow colors like I'm sure you have on your S-meter on your radio..Seems like it would suit you well..

I am sorry. I guess it is impossible to see in pictures but it does light brighter when you key. When idle the leds are 5 volt. When keyed it runs on the twelve from the power supply. It no longer needs the battery inside it but it can use it or run off the external power supply. This also has the good bad and the ugly noise toy wired in to it. Internally it is no longer a d 104 because the element and amplifier are not out of a D. There is much more done on this microphone that pictures do not show and it sounds a lot better then a stock D 104. Like a friend once told me, it is better to not say something and let others think your stupid then to open your mouth and remove all doubt. You have removed all doubt. As for the lights in the meter on my radio.....I wonder which radio you are talking about? When you have this much equipment, you can afford to play with this type of stuff but I would never install the gay pride colored lights like those installed in your meters. If you have nothing constructive to say and have nothing of your own to compare it to why not just keep your comments to your self.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll say it's a little on the neat side, it would be better if the blue lights in the head went to red when keyed.

I thought about that and decided to stick to the all blue and let it light brighter when it keyed using two different voltages. I also thought about using two red led's in the head that would light up like eyes in the microphones head. The problem with using two different colors is that you only have one wire that is usable going to the microphone head without changing the properties of the head. I can take the head off right now and use it on any of my other D 104's. To get that alternate color I would need a fourth wire in the head. This is possible but it would make the head not removable because I would have to run a wire through the connector. The power converter wired in to the base gives me 4 different voltages to run. I heard there were leds available that changed colors based on voltage but I have not been able to find them.

Thanks for the idea. I honestly appreciate criticism when it is done constructively. I have a lot of microphones {near 300 of em} and this is just a fun project to do in my spare time so the rude comments are uncalled for, unwanted, and will be responded to accordingly. Comments like yours are helpful and appreciated. Thanks again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.