• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The old FCC issued cb call signs

I have never had a license but always wanted one… I believe it’s time to start crossing the T’s and even dotting a few eyes I mean I’s before it’s too late lol
How does one go about testing and receiving a citizen band license? I’m not so interested in the ham license yet although I will someday.. but for now I have this bucket list… anyone know how it’s done these days? Looking for some cool call letters to back my handle…
I guess it’s ok that I share a handle with another player here on the field, if I hadn’t carried this handle for 42 years I’d have probably attempted to change it however my friends tell me “that’s not how it works, we call you motor mouth because it fits” lol they got me there I guess, there’s always so much to say!!!

I have never had a license but always wanted one… I believe it’s time to start crossing the T’s and even dotting a few eyes I mean I’s before it’s too late lol
How does one go about testing and receiving a citizen band license? I’m not so interested in the ham license yet although I will someday.. but for now I have this bucket list… anyone know how it’s done these days? Looking for some cool call letters to back my handle…
I guess it’s ok that I share a handle with another player here on the field, if I hadn’t carried this handle for 42 years I’d have probably attempted to change it however my friends tell me “that’s not how it works, we call you motor mouth because it fits” lol they got me there I guess, there’s always so much to say!!!

There are no CB licenses any longer. They were discontinued back in the late 70s, I think.

Under the current rules you don't need a license and they're not going to give you one. If you want to ID in the FCC approved manner, your call sign would be the letter "K", your initials, and your zip code.

I've never heard anyone do that.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Under the current rules you don't need a license and they're not going to give you one. If you want to ID in the FCC approved manner, your call sign would be the letter "K", your initials, and your zip code.

I've never heard anyone do that.
The stinky part was when I first got in the CB it was a big deal about not transmitting until you get your license and at that time I want to say 71 Maybe it cost $20 and they were really adamant about don’t transmit until you get your license. From there I think they went down to four dollars or something in that area and then in the 80s I think they did away with it all together.

The stinky part was when I first got in the CB it was a big deal about not transmitting until you get your license and at that time I want to say 71 Maybe it cost $20 and they were really adamant about don’t transmit until you get your license. From there I think they went down to four dollars or something in that area and then in the 80s I think they did away with it all together.
Check Smokinone's link, 1982 was the year they stopped issuing licenses.

I got my Tech license 2 years ago. It was not hard just took learning. KM6YDW. I got a CB License for 5 dollars back in the day. KBNT1164 or my on air 164 Northern Cal.

Reactions: S&W357
I got my Tech license 2 years ago. It was not hard just took learning. KM6YDW. I got a CB License for 5 dollars back in the day. KBNT1164 or my on air 164 Northern Cal.
Ok I got work to do lol I just realized how far the frequency range is on this RCI 2950 this is a whole new world lol
I have another question about call letters/numbers ? When talking out of the country on 27.385 usb everyone uses a three digit call number.. is there a list of DX users or some sort of reg? How? What? Help? Lol

A friend bought a radio on ebay and sent it to me to fix it. The previous owners license is on the bottom of the radio. First time I ever saw one of those.

While going through some forgotten paperwork that was in the deepest part of the attic, I finally came across my old FCC issued CB radio license from back in 1983. It's nice to know my memory isn't going just yet and I was correct with KAWB 3442 being my call sign.

Attachments

• IMG_20240213_123311538_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240213_123311538_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
KSU 6347 Whale in Jamesburg NJ 73’s my fellow radio friends. When I was stationed in Dover Delaware, there used to be a guy come through town. His handle was the pantyhose bandit I thought that was the funniest one.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
My license is long gone, but I still use the number. KMK-0945
I kinda did the same thing. My old license is posted somewhere here on the forum.
KLE-3820, I use 3820 or WDX3820.
My license number, I believe, was just before the FCC started issuing the 4 letter prefix to the license number due to the large number of CB licenses that had been issued.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated