• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Power of Positive Thinking

Off Pavement

Jan 23, 2011
I'm on cloud 9... I passed elements 2, 3, AND 4 tonight!

What that has to do with the title of this post is that I was so determined to pass that I bought some equipment just "knowing" I was going to pass. Oh sure, I didn't spend very much on the 20+ year old HF stuff that should be delivered about the same time my call is posted, but it worked for me.

I would like to take a moment to pass on a special thanks to the "Crotchety Old Bastard" (his term not mine!) W5LZ for suggesting that I study the Extra portion saying it wasn't that hard. Well, it was that hard, but I'm glad I followed his advice. Thanks Doc!!!

74IN -An old antenna tuner and a Kenwood TS-820 S with the external VFO. I'm gonna throw up a dipole in the trees for starters... I've got a lot of room for antennas here on the farm(stead) going forward... I've got a lot to learn from a practical perspective I know.

Nice radio indeed. Just make sure you know how to tune it properly and don't try to squeeze every last watt out of it,100 watts is plenty and maybe a bit less on 10m if the tubes are soft. here is my TS-820S with external VFO, matching speaker and AT-200 antenna tuner.

image005sm.jpg

Captain Kilowatt... that Heathkit stuff in your shack is what caught my eye to start with. Actually, my memory of that gear goes back to the 60's, a ham named Billy Fries, my novice test back then, and his famous dad.

Now I've slept since then so I may be wrong, but I think Bill had a DX-60 and an HR-10. They sure looked like what's in your shack. Remote Heathkit VFO too? Didn't you every hear that a clean desk is the sign of a sick mind? Your shack photo shows your sickness well.(y)

That photo was taken right after I finished building the operating desk. Don't worry I have since come to my senses and now the room has become a tripping hazard and the desk is once again a mess. :D

That photo was taken right after I finished building the operating desk. Don't worry I have since come to my senses and now the room has become a tripping hazard and the desk is once again a mess. :D
Ha Ha. That sure sounds familiar!! Congrats & great job well done sir. Good ol Doc,"Crotchety ol Bastard", hat's off to you too for pushin him! That's what bein a Ham is all about isn't it?! Enjoy a great new (& expensive) hobby my friend! It sure is GREAT :)
Slim CDX285/W8CDF

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    No conditions woodstown NJ.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place